Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

userlc

Turbo tax says I must mail Form 8453. 8453 wants me to attach Form 8949. One of my sales on Form 8949 says see attached statement.....do I need to attach a statement?

1. How do you attach a pdf? I have been trying to figure this out. 

2. My CPA tells me she don’t submit detailed transactions from foreign country for their client. If IRS needs it, they will ask so anyone know why the why turbo tax is telling us we must submit if we do summary transactions? 

userlc

Turbo tax says I must mail Form 8453. 8453 wants me to attach Form 8949. One of my sales on Form 8949 says see attached statement.....do I need to attach a statement?

My CPA says she doesn’t use turbo tax for her clients and does not submit 8453 and detailed transactions for her clients who have foreign transactions because some clients have thousands and thousands of transactions. Therefore, I don’t understand why you are saying detailed transactions are required by the IRS? 

the rule (explained in IRS instructions) is :

a) covered transactions without adjustments do not require Form 8949.
b) covered transactions with adjustments (i.e. wash sales) must be detailed on some 8949 or your other forms in the manner of 8949.
--
If you summarize a) no mailing is necessary
If you summarize b) or,

you summarize other categories either attach (*) or mail in the details .

Box A and Box D are your covered transactions.

a) is the only Exception to the IRS requirement to list in detail every closing transaction you make during the year.

(*) It's been reported TurboTax Online 2020 may prompt you to attach a PDF file of details. But TurboTax CD/Download 2020 will not.

TurboTax 2021 remains to be seen.

dSF2
Returning Member

What do we do if the broker didn't provide a 1099-B? This is for instances where "(C) Short-term transactions not reported to you on Form 1099-B" was selected on Form 8949. I bought/sold stocks from an international broker that does not issue 1099-B statements.

Did you read my post directly above: 8-20 6:24 AM?

It answers your question.

for the form 8949, i entered the summary into turbotax. I shouldn't need to mail in a form 8453 with attached statements because there were no adjustments necessary.

But i don't know what i did wrong when i entered the information into turbotax because turbotax generated a form 8453 and is telling me to mail in a statement.

what did i do wrong in the turbotax software?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You didn't do anything wrong.  Whenever you enter summary totals the documents must be mailed to the IRS. For your convenience the instructions are provided below.

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to the following address within three days after the IRS accepts your tax return: 

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you need a blank Form 8453, you can download this pdf, enter your address information and check the box for Form 8949 (this form is really just a cover sheet).

@isaac9

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
EPX
Level 1

From what I understand, you do not have to mail anything to the IRS if you do summary totals, and there are no adjustments needed. You don't have to include these transactions on Form 8949. You only need to do Schedule D.  That seems to be the problem with the Turbotax the user is asking about. It is telling him to mail in the statements and Form 8453.....but he had no adjustments.

This is exactly it.. thus my confusion remains. But i mailed in the statement and the form.. i really don't see what harm it can do Anyways. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

The ''no adjustments'' caveat only applies to summaries of transactions in Box A and/or D (basis reported to the IRS).   If you have any transactions summarized for Box B, C, E, or F, you have to send in the details whether or not you have an adjustments for those transactions.  

If you're e-filing, you only need to mail copies of your 8949 along with Form 8453 if:

• You entered a summary for one or more sales categories (instead of each individual sale); AND
  • The sales category for one or more summaries is something other than Box A (short-term covered) or Box D (long-term covered); or
  • The Box A and/or Box D summary includes adjustments (typically listed in boxes 1f or 1g on your broker statement).

Otherwise, if you entered each individual sale, or you entered summaries for Boxes A and/or D with no adjustments, don't mail in your 8949.  

@isaac9   @EPX

Thanks. That explains it. These transactions were short term not covered (basis not reported to the irs) though i have absolutely no idea why the brokerage chose that box when the basis is written right there in the 1099b. It's crypto transactions through Robinhood.. probably there is some strange rule about crypto that says they have to check box B instead of box A

TT Business won't upload my 8453-S. It says it can't find it even though it shows attached.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

If by "upload", do you mean TurboTax won't E-file Form 8453-S, Form 8453-S, Declaration for an IRS e-file Return is not supported for E-file. You'll have to print and mail it in. 

Use Form 8453-S to:

• Authenticate an electronic Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation,
  • Authorize the ERO, if any, to transmit via a third-party transmitter,
  • Authorize the intermediate service provider (ISP) to transmit via a third-party transmitter if you are filing online (not using an ERO), and
  • Provide the corporation’s consent to directly deposit any refund and/or authorize an electronic funds withdrawal for payment of federal taxes owed.

What IRS Address do I need to mail them too? I’m in Louisiana 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to the following address within three days after the IRS accepts your tax return: 

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

@f04a2c921c4e

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies