Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax says I must mail Form 8453. 8453 wants me to attach Form 8949. One of my sales on Form 8949 says see attached statement.....do I need to attach a statement?

It’s been over 3 days since they accepted it , do I need to to still send my statements in? Or do I need to do something else? Thanks 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Turbo tax says I must mail Form 8453. 8453 wants me to attach Form 8949. One of my sales on Form 8949 says see attached statement.....do I need to attach a statement?

Yes. As stated above by tax expert @PattiF, you must mail Form 8453 to the IRS within 3 business days after receiving acknowledgment that the IRS has accepted the electronically filed tax return. Since you have not done so already, please mail the form and backup documentation as soon as possible. 

@f04a2c921c4e

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

it is now 3 years after your message and apparently turbo tax still has not fixed the problem,  the instructions say you are attaching the details, but apparently only if you are filing by mail, not electronically as I can not find out (after talking to turbo tax) how do file the detail 1099s.  very frustating

three years later and Intuit still has not solved problem

I entered by stock sales in summary, how do I attach the detail 1099 from the brokerage firms

why can't I just sent the detail electronically with my tax return. How do attach the 1099s which support the summary.  I imagine that the IRS will have a difficult time matching a tax return filed electronically to the 1099s if the 1099s are mail and the return if filed electronically

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, then there is not a method in place to allow you to electronically attach your Form 1099-B to your return when you have entered summary totals for the transactions.  If you are required to provide your 1099-B to the IRS, then it will have to be mailed along with Form 8453 which will print with your return.  Form 8453 is used to match the mailed documents with your tax return that was electronically filed.

See the following TurboTax help article for more details:

Do I need to fill out or mail in Form 8949?

If you are using TurboTax Online, you may be able to electronically attach a PDF of your Form 1099-B as long as certain requirements have been met.  If your situation allows the document to be uploaded, then you will see that option at the end of the Form 1099-B section of your return.  If you do not see that option, then you will need to mail Form 1099-B along with Form 8453.

@ss243

[edited 3/22/2022 | 1:26 pm PST]

mark847
Returning Member

TurboTax needs to respond to this:  I entered each individual transactions that was Type B or Type E, Basis not reported to the IRS.  TurboTax still said that I needed to mail in Form 8453.  Why?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Check your 'Filing Instructions' page.

You should not have to mail Form 8453 if you entered Type B or E transactions manually.  They will be reported on Form 8949 and included in your return.

If you're e-filing, you only need to mail copies of your 8949 along with Form 8453 if:

• You entered a summary for one or more sales categories (instead of each individual sale); AND
  • The sales category for one or more summaries is something other than Box A (short-term covered) or Box D (long-term covered); or
  • The Box A and/or Box D summary includes adjustments (typically listed in boxes 1f or 1g on your broker statement).

Click this link for more info on Mailing Form 8453 and 8949.

@mark847

when Form 8949 says: "see attached statement", you don't mail that 8949; it has already been submitted via e-File !     if you mail it in, that is redundant/duplicate.

"see attached statement" is referring to the document you are going to mail under cover of Form 8453.

@MarilynG TurboTax Deluxe tells me to mail in Form 8453 with Form 8949's. In easyStep, I entered summary totals for my 1099-Bs, but I see the detailed transactions in the forms 8949 in the printed copy of my return for my records. These details were imported from my brokerages, or entered manually.

1. Do I need to mail all the detailed Form 8949's, or just the ones that are not box "A" or "D"?

2. Since TurboTax has all the detailed Form 8949's, why are they not e-filed? Why do I need to print and mail them in? IRS has a huge backlog of paper returns, and my Form 8453 only adds to that backlog.

@fanfare  My Form 8453 says I need to mail in Form 8949. One of my 8949 has box "E" checked, and the first line says "... - see attached statement", but I cannot find that statement in the printed copy of my return, nor in Forms mode . What am I supposed to do?

Of course you don't find it in your tax return.

That's why you're mailing it in.

--

IRS requires details of your SELL transactions to be supplied on some Form 8949,
or on your other forms (e.g. consolidated 1099-B or spreadsheet) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.

Detail Reporting Exception: if you summarize Category A or Category D, Form 8949 is not needed for transactions without adjustments. No mailing is necessary. No attachment is necessary.

@fanfare OK - the instructions could be a lot clearer. Form 8453 says I need to mail in Form 8949, but it doesn't indicate any specific copy 8949, and your answer says that I don't need to mail in the 8949 that has a "see attached statement" line.

You then say that the "attached statement" is the document that needs to be mailed in with Form 8453, but you are not clear that a separate document is needed, not 8949. And you do not explain what document is needed, nor how to create it.

I presume that the "statement" is normally the pages of the brokerage 1099-B that lists the detailed Block "E" transactions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies