Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax is not Free like they advertise such a scam this will be the last time I use them

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AprilLO

Turbo tax is not Free like they advertise such a scam this will be the last time I use them

With the new tax changes, TurboTax Free Edition, handles only simple returns with no additional schedules. Upgrades and add-ons, such as TurboTax PLUS and Audit Defense, are available at an additional cost.

The following TurboTax FAQ shows the list of qualifications for the TurboTax Free Edition:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3334660

Or you might qualify for TurboTax Free File Program .

To qualify for free 2018 federal and state tax returns in the Free File Program, you'll need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $34,000 or less
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • In 2018, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $66,000, and you have a military-issued W-2

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

View solution in original post

36 Replies
AprilLO

With the new tax changes, TurboTax Free Edition, handles only simple returns with no additional schedules. Upgrades and add-ons, such as TurboTax PLUS and Audit Defense, are available at an additional cost.

The following TurboTax FAQ shows the list of qualifications for the TurboTax Free Edition:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3334660

Or you might qualify for TurboTax Free File Program .

To qualify for free 2018 federal and state tax returns in the Free File Program, you'll need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $34,000 or less
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • In 2018, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $66,000, and you have a military-issued W-2

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

mnm1993-

well not a scam just after you buy delux 49.99 theires a state fee 49.99 then a state fee 49.99. just a money grap, more like entrapment but not really since you can just use another site or something just more difficult if youve already filed portions of your return.
mnm1993-

i guess it gets scammy?

All those stupid FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE ads on tv were a SCAM even filing no detailed deductions.

The FREE FREE ads on TV are just a way to sucker people in.  Its not free.  just did a return for my daughter who only made 4700 last year because she is in college.  but since she needed one special form for college tuition, of course then one must get an upgrade.  what a bunch of crap.  scam
dedgrenwi

Just tried it on Free, said I had to file form 1040 (which is supposed to be covered under the free edition) and yet it claimed THAT was the reason I HAD to upgrade. False advertising and money grab, and illegal as all hell.
qwwp12345

It's a scam, I paid 49.99 and the return went missing, ask the support they told me they cannot do anything because the part where I e-file is free they only charge me for "documenting" not filing. What a scam...

Everyone must file Form 1040 now. Under the new tax laws, forms 1040-EZ and 1040-A were eliminated.
sstimack

I was a dedicated Turbo Tax customer for 3 years. Last year I used an accountant. I went to get copies of my 2016 and 2017 and they are making me pay just to download my past returns that I filed with them. Really shady guys.

They'll tell you it's free right up until the end and then charge you fees on top of fees while doing everything they can to hide the actual free version. Very shady practice and I won't be back.

Agreed. I file a simple return and get hacked with those fees as well. They're lying to get you to do your taxes then screw you.

I didn't get any upgrades. Nothing special. I filled a 1040ez, and made less than 25,000 and I still got charged. It's false advertisement and very unfair. I'll go elsewhere next year.
zbogen

Your fraudulent program told me I entered a 1099 document which is complete fantasy. Intuit are hucksters.

@zbogen wrote:

Your fraudulent program told me I entered a 1099 document which is complete fantasy. Intuit are hucksters.

No one in this forum has the faintest idea what you are talking about.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies