Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stoutdr
Returning Member

Turbo Tax Edition Choices

On my previous account I was using the Deluxe edition in previous years due to oil investment.  I was unable to select the free version as I was only given the Deluxe edition with the wording stating it was free to start or other paid editions.  I tried to follow the online instructions to clear my data and start over, but the problem was the free edition was not an option to choose.  I had to create a new username and password in order to receive the free version.  Needless to say, I had not noticed this until this year and could have used the free version for the last four years.  The free version should always be a separate option. Choosing the Deluxe option with the wording of it being free is misleading as it will still charge you for Deluxe even when you are filing a simple return.  I tried several times using the different information given in the online help.  The Online version needs to be updated to include the Free option for return users as life changes and the previous years version may not be the best fit for the new year. Now I have two accounts as it was the only way I could use the Free edition.

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You can clear and start over, however there are stipulations that if you get past it for the current year you cannot go back. 

To clear and start over, click here. Please let us know if we can assist you further. @stoutdr 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
stoutdr
Returning Member

The problem is not with clearing what was already entered. It is with the options available to choose from to file your taxes. There is not an option for the Free Edition. This needs to be looked into and updated. I am sure there are many other users that are being scammed into paying for the Deluxe Edition when they don’t need to. I would be glad to show you what I am talking about to get this fixed unless it is set up intentionally this way for Turbo Tax to make money. Reading other comments more people are having the same issue.

stoutdr
Returning Member

The problem is not with clearing what was already entered. It is with the options available to choose from to file your taxes. There is not an option for the Free Edition. This needs to be looked into and updated. I am sure there are many other users that are being scammed into paying for the Deluxe Edition when they don’t need to. I would be glad to show you what I am talking about to get this fixed unless it is set up intentionally this way for Turbo Tax to make money. Reading other comments more people are having the same issue.

Here is the trick ... do NOT log in first next year.   Instead choose the FREE option from the menu and THEN log in.    Save this link :   https://turbotax.intuit.com/   then click on the DO IT YOURSELF tab to choose the free option.

1a.jpg

stoutdr
Returning Member

Thank you for the suggestion, I am sure this would work. The bottom line is it needs to be fixed so users are not being charged erroneously!

This is exactly why TurboTax had a class action lawsuit filed against them, a few years back. Without admitting fault, of course, they paid it. 

The lawsuit (and you can probably still find it on the internet) in short, claimed TurboTax was charging taxpayers for filing returns they claimed would be filed for free. (i.e. federal form 1040) Then, they would charge them for Deluxe or even Premium.

You'll have to read the revised ToS regarding arbitration to determine if they have filled in their self-created, profit generating loophole.

Actually if you log in first the program asks a lot of questions about your prior year return and you are given the option to choose a different level of program at that time however many miss this option in someway. 

FYI  ... if your AGI will be $76K or less then I highly recommend you seek out one of the IRS FREE FILE options (which TT & H&R Block no longer participates) ....  https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies