Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TTax Effective Tax Rate

On the instruction page of my return , Turbo Tax shows an effective Tax rate.

I looked at everything and that number is the Tax/AGI.   Not sure why they call that the effective tax rate. Most definitions of effective tax rates are Tax/Taxable income.  

If you Google it or look at it in INVESTOPEDIA, effective tax rate is taxes/taxable income so this rate from TT is not effective tax rate. I dont know what tax/AGI is actually called.  Maybe that is total effective tax rate? *based on total income, not taxable.  Or we can say,... effective taxable tax rate and effective total tax rate? idk.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

TTax Effective Tax Rate

I am going to label this as the Turbo Tax effective tax rate (tax/AGI) and I will label my other tax rate as effective tax rate = taxes/Taxable income. Not sure why TT calls the tax /AGI, effective tax rate, but it is what i will call... Turbo Tax Effective tax rate. No one else calls that effective tax rate anywhere.

TTax Effective Tax Rate

anyone going to answer this one? Guess not.

TTax Effective Tax Rate

Different people calculate it different ways - there are many definitions.    It's a rather meaningless number anyway - it really does not tell you much no matter how it is calculated.   I don't know why they even include it.

Investopedia defines it as the 2019 1040 line 16 (tax) by line 11b (AGI).

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/effectivetaxrate.asp

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

TTax Effective Tax Rate

Most definitions of effective tax rate in financial sites usually involve taxable income in the denominator, not AGI. TT uses AGI.  Thx though the response. I just call it TT effective tax rate and the normally-defined one is the effective tax rate.  I am moving on. 

TTax Effective Tax Rate

@gmott18 wrote:

Most definitions of effective tax rate in financial sites usually involve taxable income in the denominator, not AGI. TT uses AGI.  Thx though the response. I just call it TT effective tax rate and the normally-defined one is the effective tax rate.  I am moving on. 

I'm curious, why do you even care about the effective tax rate and what use to you put it to?  What meaningful information does it give to you reguardless of how it is calculated.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

TTax Effective Tax Rate

I just like to compare it year over year, although many factors play into it.

Nice to see my taxes vs taxable income or in TTs case , my taxes vs AGI. I get it though, it is not always apples to apples when your income levels change due to whatever reason.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies