Not saying I have the answer for you.....but you need to provide a LOT more information.
1) Are you a USA citizen? IF not a US citizen, what was your Visa status when you worked in the USA?
2) Are you trying to complete a 2016 tax return? or is 2016 tax filing finished properly, but maybe you now need to prepare a newer year's taxes too? (if a newer year, which year's taxes?)
3) If not a USA citizen, are you now living in the USA, or did you return to South Africa and are now living there?
Good Morning @SteamTrain
I am a South African citizen. Regarding the Visa status, unfortunately I'm not too sure what you mean. If it helps. I went abroad to work there for a limited time only, six months.
I am trting to complete my 2016 Tax Return. If I understand it correctly this is the only year I'm allowed to claim from. I'm not claiming from 2017 or onwards, since I only worked in the US in 2016 only.
Just to reiterate. I am a South African citizen. Would you prefer I attach a screenshot of what the site says about my 2016 Tax?
Well...for 2016 taxes you cannot use the Online software anyhow....so unless you have the 2016 desktop/download software, you can't continue "Online".....but even then it is possible you can't even use the desktop software (see #2 below)
1) No screenshots unless you remove all your personal identifying information.
2) I'm asking elsewhere for help...because it is possible you should be filing a form 1040NR......BUT, since desktop TurboTax will only prepare and file forms 1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040 for 2016 taxes, you may have to get the paper/PDF forms form the IRS website and file by mail.
That could the primary problem you are encountering. There was another service that offered forms 1040NR forms Online, but I don't know if they'd do prior year (2016) forms at this time.
I'm poking some others for comment.....See what others might have to suggest.
Have had one response where one of the SuperUsers believed you will likely have to file a 1040NR (that TTX software doesn't have ).
1) One place that does 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ forms is Sprintax....but you would have to use their Contact Us link to determine if their system can do a 2016 form at all on their filing system.
Otherwise, you may have to use the 2016 IRS forms downloaded as PDF documents, and fill them out manually, and mail them in:
1040NR-EZ forms :
Now...see if others have some additional input.
@handdrops , having gone through the above interactions and agreeing with @SteamTrain , here is what I get from your post-- (a) you are a Non-resident alien from South Africa ; (b) you were in the US for six months during 2016 ( when did you enter the USA and when did you leave; what visa ?? ); (c) you were employed for the six months ( yes? ) by US employer ( ?) and issued a W-2; (d) you filed a return ( yes? ) for the year 2016 but have not heard from the IRS OR you are trying to file a 2016 return. (e) need help in proceeding.
As you can see from my question marks , there are lot of information we need before being able to provide an answer specific to your scenario. It appears prima facie that you were a Non-Resident Alien and should have filed a form 1040-NR but depending on your answers this may change. Please answer the questions and as much information as you can -- this is public board so refrain from personally identifiable information.
True......your original start-up question seems to indicate you already sent in your 2016 tax forms.
as noted in PK's part d) question......be clear as to whether that is a Yes or No too? IF that is a YES......IF you did already mail in your tax forms, what was the form type? 1040 or 1040NR? (and exactly when did you mail them in to the IRS)
Good Afternoon SteamTrain and pk.
I apologise for my lack of own personal information. I worked through a company called Away2xplore. I am busy getting into contact with them regarding the type of visa I applied to. Only on their reply will I be able to source you an answer regarding my visa type.
Regarding the other questions. I was employed by a US employer throughout the six months. Alpine Amusement Park. I was then issued a W-2 form afterwards, which I then used to fill out (to the best of my ability) on TurboTax's website.
1) did you actually submit that 2016 tax form? Either by mail, or by e-filing?
2) did you just fill out the data, but not actually send it in yet?
3) ....and when ? what calendar year did you fill in the data from 2016. in 2017? or 2018? or recently in 2019?