turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to e file, but it won't let me because it says I have to fix my employers state withing ID number, and that it needs to be 14 characters with no hyphens, no dashes

But it's already perfect as far as I can see, so why can't I e file? Says there's a problem with no problem?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Trying to e file, but it won't let me because it says I have to fix my employers state withing ID number, and that it needs to be 14 characters with no hyphens, no dashes

What state and how many characters do you have?

@xf1oydmanx 

IF Utah?...the WTH text part of the state number must be entered as lower case wth every place you entered it.

and....I've seen that sometimes, you first have to delete the entire state number, and the re-enter the whole thing with the lower case letters.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

It can look perfect on the screen and still have a programming error in the software.  Delete the entire W-2.  

Sign out.

Use the Chrome browser on a computer.  Clear cache and cookies.  Sign in to TurboTax and enter the W2 again.  Enter manually.  Do not import.

As @ SteamTrain mentioned, this error was probably produced in reference to the information that ultimately shows up on the Utah state form TC-40W.  This is a known longstanding problem with TurboTax handling of that state withholding number in the Utah state software, but luckily in most cases has an easy fix, albeit a quirky one.   

The Utah employer/payer state withholding number is 14 characters, entered without hyphens and ends in the letters wth.   As SteamTrain mentioned above, the solution is almost always to use lower case wth for the last 3 characters instead of capital letters.  And it must be entered that way for every W-2 and 1099 that has a Utah payer state withholding ID number.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies