turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pmirvin

On the Lyft dashboard, it says that TurboTax Self-Employed is free for Lyft Drivers

When I go to my dashboard in Lyft, it has a promo graphic stating that Turbo Tax Self-Employed is free to Lyft drivers.  However, this is not reflecting when I go to check out.  TurboTax is charging me $89. 

I have attached a screenshot of the promo details below.  Can someone tell me how I can get the promo applied to my cart?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
Radricka

On the Lyft dashboard, it says that TurboTax Self-Employed is free for Lyft Drivers

To find the current discount through Lyft for TurboTax Self-Employed, you will need to log into your Lyft Driver account and click on Tax Information, on the top menu. Then, click on Start for Free button, in the TurboTax graphic.  You can verify the discount is applied:

1. Click on Tax Tools
  2. Click on Tools
  3. Click on the blue button My Fees
  • If it does not show the discount, please close the browser and clear the cache of cookies/temporary internet files.
  • When you sign back in, it should be showing the discount.

This TurboTax FAQ has information for how to access your affiliate discounts.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4652791  

This TurboTax FAQ will direct you to entering your income and expenses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5802325

kenfarb

Yes TurboTax screwed me with this.

I have tried to do this multiple times on multiple systems and it keeps showing:

TurboTax Self-Employed $90

I'm also showing a $40 charge for state taxes. I have had to log out and log back on while doing taxes this year. Do I need to delete my account, start over from the lyft dashboard, and finish my taxes on one run?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Yes, you do have to start from the Lyft dashboard. It is Lyft that is offering the discount, not TurboTax. TurboTax has nothing to do with it, so we cannot offer the discount, you have to go through Lyft.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mrKells

My return even says the following at the bottom, but was charged the full price.  Was even charged for Self employed for my wifes return even though she only claimed a T4Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 2.01.37 PM.png

This is the USA forum.

Here is the Canada forum  

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/tax-help

Or Contact TurboTax Canada Support

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

This Lyft website advertises the following:

"Free TurboTax Self-Employed and 50% savings on TurboTax Live Self-Employed with on-demand CPAs."

You are to click on the Use TurboTax link below this statement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Feneisd1

I have used the TurboTax desktop version for 10 years.  I decided to use the on-line version for Lyft drivers to file federal and state.  Everything went well until it hit me for $50 to file my state return.  It didn’t give me a chance to file the federal return and simply print the state return and file by mail. I needed to pay the $50 ransom to file both returns and download the tax pdf.

Very disappointed with the free version of TurboTax for rideshare drivers.

Yes that is one of the differences between online and Desktop. And I'm sure you found several other differences.  

Your return is only stored at Turbo Tax.  So be sure to download the pdf and .tax files to your computer when you are done or you may not be able to access it when you need a copy.  Or if you ever need to amend.

So I used Turbotax through Lyft last year for my 1099 for Lyft and another 1099. It was FREE. If you've used this before, it will not work again for free. You CAN NOT use the link in your Lyft dashboard to get Turbotax for free if you have used it before. It will charge you. 

HOWEVER, you CAN use Lyft's promo by:

1) Sign into your Lyft driver dashboard.

2) Click "Tax Information" on your left hand side. 

3) Access the Lyft promo photo/ link. 

4) Click "START FOR FREE" and create a NEW ACCOUNT. 

5) Fill out everything normally and DO NOT link your previous TurboTax account. 

6) Click "Tax tools" on your left side of your TurboTax acc dash.

7) Check your "My Fees". 

This worked for me but I'm not sure if it will work for everyone. If you have advice, please respond. Thank you!

It does seem completely fake and completely misleading.

Why would Lyft advertise it inside the portal, if it is true that it can only be used once? I don't remember ever using it and I've been a driver for 5 years, and it shows that it is available for free, YET, it does NOT work. It is VERY misleading. And no one at Lyft or Intuit seems to be  accountable for the ambiguity.

Actually, it looks like a scam! there is nothing I didnt try to get that discount on the site! Those instructions doesn't apply. 

Its a scam, just to get drivers to use Turbotax, they're trying to get you started, spent so much time on the Turbotax website filing, then when you can't get the discount, you going to decide to pay the price. Because you dont wanna cancel all your hard work. It's very unfortunate for them, Lyft and Turbotax.

It's fake! Let's face it! they are scam artists! Both of them

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies