Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

prullan
Returning Member

I receive a 1099-Misc form that reports income from a separation from a former employer. Any way to avoid Self Employment Tax? I'm not really in business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I receive a 1099-Misc form that reports income from a separation from a former employer. Any way to avoid Self Employment Tax? I'm not really in business?

To correctly enter the 1099-MISC so that it does not prompt a Schedule C, take the following steps:

• In your open Federal return, choose the tab for Wages & Income
  • Tab through or down to Other Common Income (Show More) and Start/Revisit Form 1099-MISC
  • Edit the 1099-MISC if you already entered it, or Add it now and enter the information on the form, then Continue.
  • On the screen Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC enter the reason you received the income.
  • On the screen Does one of these uncommon situations apply? choose None of these apply.
  • On the screen Did the [Description] involve work that's like [Name's] main job? answer No.
  • On the next screen, choose the year you received the money.  (In this case, 2018.)
  • On the screen Did the [Description] involve an intent to earn money? choose No and complete the interview.

A corresponding entry will appear on Form 1040, Schedule 1, Line 21 of your return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

To correctly enter the 1099-MISC so that it does not prompt a Schedule C, take the following steps:

• In your open Federal return, choose the tab for Wages & Income
  • Tab through or down to Other Common Income (Show More) and Start/Revisit Form 1099-MISC
  • Edit the 1099-MISC if you already entered it, or Add it now and enter the information on the form, then Continue.
  • On the screen Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC enter the reason you received the income.
  • On the screen Does one of these uncommon situations apply? choose None of these apply.
  • On the screen Did the [Description] involve work that's like [Name's] main job? answer No.
  • On the next screen, choose the year you received the money.  (In this case, 2018.)
  • On the screen Did the [Description] involve an intent to earn money? choose No and complete the interview.

A corresponding entry will appear on Form 1040, Schedule 1, Line 21 of your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies