turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does the government shutdown mean for my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 10

Nothing,  In anticipation of a federal government shutdown, the IRS released its contingency plan for the filing season which does not close down all functions within the IRS. "If the IRS is confronted by a lapse in appropriations during the 2018 Tax Filing Season (January 1 – April 30, 2018) the IRS will need to continue return processing activities to the extent necessary to protect Government property, which includes tax revenue, and maintain the integrity of the federal tax collection process, along with certain other activities authorized under the Anti-Deficiency Act." The IRS is processing returns as scheduled on 1/29/18 although they have accepted some earlier than their original forecast.

The IRS will remain open as well as all necessary government functions regardless of shutdown and that includes the IRS employees who handle returns, even those answering the phone support were at work on the morning of the shutdown and were considered necessary.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
maglib
Level 10

Nothing,  In anticipation of a federal government shutdown, the IRS released its contingency plan for the filing season which does not close down all functions within the IRS. "If the IRS is confronted by a lapse in appropriations during the 2018 Tax Filing Season (January 1 – April 30, 2018) the IRS will need to continue return processing activities to the extent necessary to protect Government property, which includes tax revenue, and maintain the integrity of the federal tax collection process, along with certain other activities authorized under the Anti-Deficiency Act." The IRS is processing returns as scheduled on 1/29/18 although they have accepted some earlier than their original forecast.

The IRS will remain open as well as all necessary government functions regardless of shutdown and that includes the IRS employees who handle returns, even those answering the phone support were at work on the morning of the shutdown and were considered necessary.

***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question

{Removed as post had no factual substance}

even though the shutdown is temporarily over, during the shutdown most of the irs was still open, so there wasn't a delay in processing. only a small amount of irs employees were forced to stay home from work. a good majority of the irs stayed working. so you shouldn't see a delay, unless another shutdown occurs
maglib
Level 10

The IRS will remain open as well as all necessary government functions regardless of shutdown and that includes the IRS employees who handle returns, even those answering the phone support were at work on the morning of the shutdown this year.

What about the January 2019 shutdown - is the answer and logistics the same.... or different ?

This thread is a year old and had no relevance to the 2019 government shutdown.  
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Do I still have to deal with my taxes?
Of course! Though the bulk of IRS employees have been furloughed (just like they were in 2013), you're still responsible for filing your tax return. And if you're expecting a refund, it might well be delayed.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/us/five-things-january-20-trnd/index.html

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies