Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

matthaeir

2018 turbo tax deluxe will not download federal or state updates

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Is this a new install, or had it been updating OK previously?    How do you know it's not updating?  Is there an error message?

Here's how to tell if you're on the latest release or not:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899272-verify-turbotax-2018-for-windows-basic-deluxe-premier-or-h...>
matthaeir

This is a new install. The initial federal/ state updates failed the first attempt
matthaeir

Yes, there is an error message. See attachment for error.

I don't normally view attachments in the forum other than some image files.  Can you please just tell me in brief what the error says, or if there is an error number?

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and tell you some things in general about installation and updating problems.

This is what I would do first:
Since it's a new install, be sure you have rebooted (restarted) your computer.   Then try to perform an update.  When you launch TurboTax it may ask you if you want to update.  Or you can launch the program first, then at the main screen click at the top on ONLINE, then "check for updates."

If your product is still not updating, you could run a Repair, and then see if it will update.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901290-how-to-repair-turbotax-in-microsoft-windows">https://ttlc....>

If still not updating after that, you could download a manual update which will update the Federal side but not the state.     If that solves the updating problem, then it should update both sides later when you run the updater.

If none of that solves it, if it were me, I'd uninstall and install using these steps:

You must install using Administrator privilege.
First manually disconnect your computer from the Internet so you can safely temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall software programs.
Close any other open programs.
If installing from a downloaded installation file, then double-click the file to start the install process, and skip the CD steps.
If installing from a CD, insert the CD and the installation should launch.  If it doesn't start installing automatically, then here's how to launch it:

Hold down the Windows+R keys to open the Run window.
      Click Browse, and then navigate to the TurboTax CD on your CD/DVD/RW drive (usually Drive D).
      Double-click the setup.exe file.
      Click OK to launch the installer.

After installing, be sure to re-enable your antivirus and firewall programs before connecting  your computer back up to the Internet.
Reboot (restart) your computer.
Launch TurboTax and run the program updater.

Thanks for the info.  I've moved your comment to an Answer where it might help others.
matthaeir

This is what corrected the issue: Windows 10 allows you to Enable or Disable "System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing". I had this setting Enabled.... which broke TurboTax updates since they chose to not implement FIPS algorithms for encryption/hashing... which goes against security best practices.

What do I do if I don't want to mess with my encryption?

I have been installing updates manually, which is fine, but no one can provide me with a manual way to download the free state that was included with my software purchase. They offer manual state download if you purchased your software download directly from TurboTax.com, but I purchased it from Amazon.

When I try to update automatically or download the state, my detailed error says "The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm."

Thank you to anyone who can help resolve this issue!

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

Error 70001 is a connectivity issue that usually will resolve itself as long as you stay connected to TurboTax until the process you are working on completes. If it does not resolve itself, please close TurboTax, restart your computer, and then reopen TurboTax.

If this does not resolve the issue, please see this TurboTax Help Article for additional steps. 

@Carolyn B Withrow

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies