Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This import was unsuccessful. Internal server error.

I keep getting "This import was unsuccessful. Internal server error" message on the downloaded version.  I can log in directly to the provider with no problem.  I tried other providers with fake id's and passwords to see if it was just a provider problem and still get the same message.  Don't even get a prompt that the ID is invalid.  This seems to be a Turbotax server problem.  Was able to do this before with the same provider, but have an updated 1099 I'm trying to retrieve.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Which financial institution?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My real problem is with first clearing. I have a valid ID/PW for them. The others I tried with fake Username/passwords were:Wells Fargo Advisors, Schwab (same failure - never asked for ID), Fidelity Investments (same message, no request for ID), tD Ameritrade (fake acct, doc id, same message), UBS (same problem).. All the messages seem to come up after about a minute of waiting on the "Connecting to" message like it's timing out.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the thread here for more information on importing Fidelity. A few suggestions were to use a different browser and remove pop-up blockers.

Have you tried a different browser like Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome? Many people have stated using Edge and removing the pop-up blockers has helped. Please let us know if you are successful using a different browser.

You may need to contact customer service directly for assistance. Please see the following information here for more details.

@tbird57 

I was able to import from fidelity a month ago with no problem.  I don't even get to the point where it tries to open the browser window into fidelity.  I'll try the support folks when I get some free time.

It wasn't a browser issue.  This was the DESKTOP version.  It turned out to be a strange Windows networking error.  The rep wasn't able to launch either of his tools.  My system had no problem on any other web site, but it seemed to block anything going to the Turbotax support site.   We checked for the latest updates on windows and TT Desktop.. All up to date. I found an optional windows networking update, installed it, and everything started working.  So can't figure out the cause, but did fix it eventually.  

Obviously, this problem has existed for quite a while (saw it as an issue from 2020 thru this year).

I am trying to import files from Interactive Brokers to my desktop version of TT 2023.  I had no problem doing this exact same thing for TT 2022, but now the subject error message comes up.  It offers to help me manually enter the data, but that is 100's of entries.  Not an option.  Any suggestions as to how to make this import work in TT 2023?

My post, below, was made on March 15, 2024......

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Online, try importing using a different browser.

See the following TurboTax Help articles for potential fixes:

Thanks for your reply.  I have read all of the articles you recommended.  I am using a download version of TT; i.e., not "online".  I have completely deleted the downloaded version and have re-installed.  Same error message when importing anything from Interactive Brokers.  I have gone to my Interactive Brokers account, turned off the export to TT check-mark, saved, re-check marked (which gave a new ID number, same Token Number); but, it did not help either.  I have tried numerous times, making sure all numbers were correct and in the proper boxes.  In other words, I don't see anything else I can do.

Can I import a TXF file of Form 8949?  Interest, Dividends Future Contracts, etc. are easy enough to manually enter; but, the individual stocks are several hundred entries.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You are able to upload a TXF file into TurboTax Desktop Premier version.  Follow these steps:

• Import TXF file into TurboTax Desktop:    File / Import / From Accounting Software / Other Financial Software (TXF) file /  Continue / Choose a File to Import / Import now.
  • An IRS form 1099-B with detail transactions is now created.   
  • The transactions may be edited.

@rfmeaux 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies