turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mom is the head of household , I can't find that option here

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DallasM

My mom is the head of household , I can't find that option here

There are a couple options because I am not aware of your personal situation. That being said I will provide you with multiple sources of information that I hope will guide you through this process.

If you mom is "Single," follow the instructions listed below:
"Enter single as your marital status."

TurboTax will enter your filing status as Head of Household as long as you have a qualifying person and enter them in TurboTax. Just be sure to go through the interview.

Regarding your W-2 single status: single means that you had income taxes taken out at the single rate. There is no Head of Household withholding status for payroll purposes.

You can choose one of the TurboTax products by clicking on TurboTax Online Product Guide .

Related information:

In addition:
-----"If you are married and live with your wife you cannot file as head of household. Head of household has a special meaning on a tax return. It does not mean that you are the primary breadwinner or the person in charge of the household. Head of household is a filing status for a single person with a child. If you are married and live with your wife, the only filing statuses you can use are married filing jointly or married filing separately."

Furthermore:
------"Two people that have the same address can both file Head of Household if there is more than one household and each taxpayer paid more than 50% of their respective households, it is possible to have more than one taxpayer meet the HOH filing status even if they live at the same place.   For example, if you have adults that are living as roommates/housemates but each roommate has their own separate family (themselves and their dependents) and expenses that they are responsible for.
Yes, if you:

1. Were unmarried as of December 31, 2016 and
  2. Paid more than half the cost to run your home (or the home of a qualifying parent) in 2016 (rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.) and
  3. Supported a qualifying person.

If you were still legally married as of December 31 and a child lives with you, you may qualify for Head of Household under a slightly different set of rules. Read more

When you go through the Personal Info section, we'll let you know if your situation qualifies you for Head of Household.

If you already went through this section, you can go back by simply clicking Personal Info and revisit (edit) the sections that contain information about yourself and/or your dependent(s).

Finally,
------"You cannot file as Head of Household unless you have a blood-related dependent.  "Keeping up a house" yourself is not enough to be HOH. 
I hope some of this information/links pertain to your specific situation are informative. If not, please do not hesitate to comment back and I will do everything in my power to further assist you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies