Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

pelkman

Desktop PC software. A problem with form 2210. TT erroneously checks box A in form 2210 Part II (Reasons for Filing 2210) requesting an 85% waiver.

Yep. Same problem here

Desktop PC software. A problem with form 2210. TT erroneously checks box A in form 2210 Part II (Reasons for Filing 2210) requesting an 85% waiver.

@munkittrick @pelkman

On your MAC....did the "X" turn red after the override attempt??
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

No
pelkman

No. Nothing happened

Then get back to the interview and try this:

1)  Get rid of the 2210 using the interview (I guess the Online folks could try this too).
 Problem is that the interview takes some unpredictable page displays, I can't predict what you see, but here is what I see.
2)....On the "Other Tax Situations" page, start thru the "Underpayment Penalties" interview.
......first Underpayment Penalty page ...YES
..........Filing status for 2017......you enter whatever it was.
..............2017 Tax Liability........you enter a ....zero..... !
..................2017 AGI.......leave it alone and continue
..........................No penalty,  hit the Done button.

3) Switch to Forms Mode. look carefully to See if the 2210 is gone. IF it isn't there, then back to review and e-filing.  If it is still there, open it, then go to the bottom and hit the "Delete Form" button and it should go away.  If it does, then it's off to the review and try e-filing again.
None of these steps will stop the IRS from reducing your refund for a penalty, if it happens that you really have one...or sending you a letter l later, with a Penalty bill...if they determine you should-have paid one...but these steps may get you thru filing.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you so much!!! worked for me!
pelkman

This worked!  I do not need form 2210 and I don’t need to check box A. I could not override the checkbox and I could not delete the form until I followed these steps. Both federal and state returns have been excepted. Thank you!

When I opened TT desktop today (Windows), got a message of new release notes:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3169946-turbotax-2018-release-notes-for-windows-personal-tax-softw...>

Here's what's in the latest TurboTax for Windows CD/Download personal (individual) software update (R18) released Thursday, February 21:

Fixed - Unable to clear final review error Form 2210: Part II, Box A should not be checked, the penalty is zero
Fixed - No entry field for adjusted mortgage interest
Fixed - Incorrect line number reference on Form 2210 error message
Fixed - Unable to clear line 33 error resulting from transferred Form 4835
Fixed - Smartcheck error Some values are too large and have caused calculation errors when state/local taxes exceed $100K
Fixed - Wrong tax year referenced on Form 8889 line 18 smart worksheet
Fixed - Unable to elect section 179 on new roof for commercial property (H&B only)
IRS forms 2210-F and 8903 finalized

This answer posted above (and now below) worked for me!  When I followed these steps form 2210 disappeared and problem solved:

1)  Get rid of the 2210 using the interview (I guess the Online folks could try this too).
 Problem is that the interview takes some unpredictable page displays, I can't predict what you see, but here is what I see.
2)....On the "Other Tax Situations" page, start thru the "Underpayment Penalties" interview.
......first Underpayment Penalty page ...YES
..........Filing status for 2017......you enter whatever it was.
..............2017 Tax Liability........you enter a ....zero..... !
..................2017 AGI.......leave it alone and continue
..........................No penalty,  hit the Done button.
rj-assoc

I pay quarterly estimated taxes, am getting a refund, did not have a penalty, but got the 2210 rejection error when e-filing. According to IRS's instructions I did not need to file 2210. In the desk top version, I found that I could switch to forms view, find the 2210 form, right click and un-check Box A on 2210 part 2 by selecting override.  Make sure it is gone from the forms list. If you go back through everything, it might show up again. My return was then accepted by the IRS.

ipockj

Ok finally got mine to file.  Go to forms and open Form 2210.  Go to Part II Box A, right click and select override, click the X in block A, it will change to red, click on it again and it will disappear and so will From 2210 in your returns list of tax forms.  I also selected override on the space for 85% wavier and deleted that also.  Closed forms and went back to step-by-step and looked under other tax situations for underpayment penalty.  It had changed from "Special circumstances apply to your underpayment penalty" to "Based on your entries you don't have a penalty of estimated taxes".  Ran Turbo tax review and e-filed.  Return accepted.  My situation is I had no withholding all estimates made by due date and an overpayment at each due date so I would have had no penalty.  

peter5
Returning Member

ipockj - Another contributor above (jpebon) reported they did something similar to what you describe. After they efiled, they went back in using Forms view and saw that TT had regenerated the X in box "A" and the "85% waiver" explanation. (TT doing this is consistent with the IRS instructions discussed above.) It would be interesting to know if your forms also show the regenerated box A and explanation.
ipockj

After e-filed my 2210 did not return but as I stated I did not have an underpayment.

I'm working on a Mac and although I can highlight Part II Box A, when I select override from the menu nothing happens and I can't delete the X. This is so frustrating I hope they fix it soon.

Yup, does not work on Mac for Home/Business return. Neither does removing the form entirely, TT just regenerates with no option. If you go to Support, they send you to a CPA who cannot do a damn thing to fix TT's programming error. There is no way to otherwise contact TT that I can find.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies