Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Desktop PC software. A problem with form 2210. TT erroneously checks box A in form 2210 Part II (Reasons for Filing 2210) requesting an 85% waiver.

@SteamTrain suggested this workaround and it worked for me:
Then get back to the interview and try this:

1)  Get rid of the 2210 using the interview (I guess the Online folks could try this too).
 Problem is that the interview takes some unpredictable page displays, I can't predict what you see, but here is what I see.
2)....On the "Other Tax Situations" page, start thru the "Underpayment Penalties" interview.
......first Underpayment Penalty page ...YES
..........Filing status for 2017......you enter whatever it was.
..............2017 Tax Liability........you enter a ....zero..... !
..................2017 AGI.......leave it alone and continue
..........................No penalty,  hit the Done button.

3) Switch to Forms Mode. look carefully to See if the 2210 is gone. IF it isn't there, then back to review and e-filing.  If it is still there, open it, the go to the bottom and hit the "Delete Form" button and it should go away.  If it does, then it's off to the review and try e-filing again.
None of these steps will stop the IRS from reducing your refund for a penalty, if it happens that you really have one...or sending you a letter l later, with a Penalty bill...if they determine you should-have paid one...but these steps may get you thru filing.
pelkman

Desktop PC software. A problem with form 2210. TT erroneously checks box A in form 2210 Part II (Reasons for Filing 2210) requesting an 85% waiver.

This worked!  I do not need form 2210 and I don’t need to check box A. I could not override the checkbox and I could not delete the form until I followed these steps. Both federal and state returns have been excepted. Thank you!
Levi_957

Interesting that a Google search on "Turbotax Form 2210 problem leads to all these complaints we Turbotax users have been immersed in. But a Google search for "H&R Block Form 2210 problem" leads to only generic info on underpayment penalties.
Anonymous
Not applicable

since I've seen more than a few posts today about this issue today, it's 99.999999% a programming bug.  This forum can't fix programming issues. Hopefully others have contacted TT support and it will come out with a fix in a week or so.  They're working on other bugs now.    

peter5
Returning Member

Thanks. I will try to contact support tomorrow to add my voice and ensure it is addressed.

As of Feb 18, 2019 there is still a problem with e-filing and form 2210.  I made changes this morning and got the rejection message.  I got the Feb 16 update, but that did not help.

Same with me, and I spent 2 extremely frustrating hours on the phone with Turbo Tax last night. After two hours they told me to wait for the update. Ugh!!!
psrobber

The bug with Form 2210 does NOT appear to be fixed. I just downloaded and updated Turbo Tax Home and Business and an unwarranted 2210 was generated.
jmkendal1

I was an originator of this thread.  I gave up and mailed my return in after about a week.  It took several weeks to be processed but I received the refund weeks ago now.  I think this is a black mark on Intuit that they have failed to get this fixed.  There's no way you could have underpaid your estimated tax if you have a refund coming.  There should be some kind of relatively simple fix.
jkendal2

This is definitely not fixed.  I had the same problem with the electronic filing being rejected.  After looking for answers and trying unsuccessfully to modify or delete form 2210, I printed the return, discarded form 2210 and mailed it in.  Very frustrating - no useful support from TurboTax.  Will check out alternatives for next year.

I will wait to see if an update is issued on the 22nd.

I first followed the Turbo Tax instruction to fill in the Waiver Explanation - No tax penalty due. The E-filing came back "rejected".  Then I just checked Box C on Form 2210 for IRS to calculate the amount of penalty if any.  This took care of the E-filing rejection message.  

@lilin.ko  This seemed to work for me as well, at least so far. I haven't submitted it yet. Waiting to see if TT really needs an additional 10 days to fix these bugs, or will a update be done on 2/22/19.

I was able to preview my tax return and see the Explanation Statement attached, only AFTER I checked Box C in Part I of Form 2210.

Just to do my own bug testing (QA), after I saw my Explanation Statement attached, I went back and unchecked box see, then proceeded to print my tax return again. The explanation statement wasn't there. So apparently you need both, the Explanation Statement AND Box C checked in order for it to display when you print.

This method seems like a much better way than actually changing numbers in your Liability amount to zero (0). By doing it this way, you are providing the Explanation Statement TT's buggy system is asking for, and by checking Box C, you are allowing the IRS to calculate the penalty for you, IF you even have one.

But again, I haven't submitted yet. So, we shall see.

No need for workarounds. I applied the Feb. 21 update and refiled. Both federal and state returns have now been accepted.
pelkman

This is still not working right - still includes form 2210
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies