Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jncress

Which TurboTax do I need to file if I am a part of a two person LLC but also have a separate personal income from a W2?

This is my first year filing with a two person LLC. I am unsure how to file and which TurboTax to use. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Which TurboTax do I need to file if I am a part of a two person LLC but also have a separate personal income from a W2?

As a multi-member LLC (including two-member LLCs run by spouses) will need to use TurboTax Business to prepare and file Form 1065 (U.S. Return of Partnership Income).

Only one return for the partnership is necessary. The partnership through the return will issue reporting statements (K1) to each of the partners. You will use those K1s when you each file your individual 1040 returns.

TurboTax Business (Windows only) contains everything you'll need to prepare Form 1065 and the associated Schedule K-1 forms.

It also lets you prepare W-2 and 1099 forms for employees and contractors that work for your LLC.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelDC

As a multi-member LLC (including two-member LLCs run by spouses) will need to use TurboTax Business to prepare and file Form 1065 (U.S. Return of Partnership Income).

Only one return for the partnership is necessary. The partnership through the return will issue reporting statements (K1) to each of the partners. You will use those K1s when you each file your individual 1040 returns.

TurboTax Business (Windows only) contains everything you'll need to prepare Form 1065 and the associated Schedule K-1 forms.

It also lets you prepare W-2 and 1099 forms for employees and contractors that work for your LLC.

jncress

Thank you for your answer. I guess I should add a little more detail. I am also a student, with a variety of personal deductions. I am also a working employee that earns a separate W2. Do I need to complete TurboTax Deluxe AND TurboTax Business?

I am frustrated and confused because I normally file a form with Turbotax Deluxe. This year I am attempting Turbotax self-employed, but I am finding because I am a multi-member LLC this will not work.

See my answer below.

Then for your personal return you need to use Turbo Tax Online or the Desktop CD/Download program.  So you need to use 2 programs.  If you use the Online version you need to use Premier to enter a K-1 from the Business return.

Start an Online return here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online 

Buy the Desktop CD/Download Program here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download 

jncress

So for my personal taxes do I need to include any of the business deductions?? Or do I save it all for the TurboTax Business?

No, on your personal return you just enter the K-1 or W2 you get from the Business return.  You do not fill out a Schedule C for it.  Do the Business return first since you will need info from it to do your personal return.

In fact the first year you should go to a CPA or Accountant to get it all set up and do it all right.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies