turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Support is a complete joke. It is impossible for me to get a person on the phone to discuss why the website is wrongly still saying the IRS has not published Form 1040X?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Support is a complete joke. It is impossible for me to get a person on the phone to discuss why the website is wrongly still saying the IRS has not published Form 1040X?

IRS may have released the paper version of the form, but TurboTax cant provide it for you until IRS approves their version of it and allows them to make it available to customers.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

The website is not saying the IRS has not released the 1040X.  It says that the TurboTax 1040X has not yet been finalized.  The IRS has NOT released the Form 1040X instructions for tax year 2018, so TurboTax cannot finalized the form until the IRS has released the current instructions.
IRS Form 1040X instructions (2017) -<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf</a>

Then why is TurboTax saying the form has not been released by the IRS.  The availability date has changed three times now!  Also, why is it so impossible to get a person on the phone to discuss this.  This is likely going to be the last year I use this service because of the total lack of support.

The message I see is "You're going to have to wait until the tax form for amending a return (Form 1040X) is ready for processing."  That does not equal waiting on the instructions.  I guess I am stuck waiting for TurboTax to move the date another three days....

First you should NOT amend a return until you get the original refund or pay the original balance due  ... and since the 1040X will take 16 weeks or more to process I don't really see what is the big rush.... patience is needed this year due to all the turmoil at the IRS ... they are way behind in many things this year.

I have my original refund.  That is why I have been watching for the 1040X so closely.  If this is all because of the IRS then Intuit needs to communicate that more clearly.  From my observation thus far, it has been Intuit pushing the date back.

Sorry you want a more detailed message but that is the only one you will get ... trust me TT doesn't want to hold the form but certain things got delayed due to a well known gov shutdown issue and the 1040X was not one of the first items to be attended to when they recalled the employees ... in fact it is always the last form approved every year  ... and  I suspect the processing of the amended returns may take longer than  the usual 16 weeks this year.  

This is why you shouldn't file a return until you have ALL your information....the amend process is slow at best.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

1040X is ready and available in other tax software, the "Nationwide delay" excuse is baloney.

1040X is available in fillable PDF format at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov">www.irs.gov</a>
It's pretty straightforward. Follow the "Instructions for Form 1040X".
You must have a copy of your original return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies