Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

duluthian

TurboTax doesn't allow widower filing separately. Defaults to "filing jointly" and doesn't allow WFS option.

My wife passed away from cancer in 2018.  Previously, we always filed separately.  Two weeks ago, I did her final taxes (both fed & state) and filed.  I already have her refunds.  Her final filing included that she was deceased (and yes, she is correctly registered as deceased at Soc. Sec., etc.) I started working on my taxes yesterday and when I filed, I was rejected at Fed IRS because "her SSN was locked due to deceased status."  I went back to my filing and have tried every combination possible EXCEPT "Widowed Filing Jointly."  No matter what I do, when I include her personal information, TT keeps defaulting into "we recommend you file jointly" and changes my filing status.  But I can't file jointly.  I've already filed her taxes.  All I need to do is get the bloody thing to allow me to have all the correct data (including widower status), and select "filing separately" but it doesn't present that option.  It will only allow me to file "Widowed, Filing Jointly." It's not only driving me crazy, it is very painful doing this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

TurboTax doesn't allow widower filing separately. Defaults to "filing jointly" and doesn't allow WFS option.

Sorry about both your personal situation and the irritation .  The IRS keeps changing what they use to foil identity theft, and this time, you were caught erroneously in the trap.  I understand how trying this would be for you.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anita01

You can choose married filing separately for your filing status and widowed for your marital status.  I just did this and had no problem.  But, if you want to change the filing status, all you have to do is check the link for change my filing status on the screen that recommends you file jointly.
Anita01

To clarify, you cannot choose widower and fling separately, because the entire point of the status  is to allow you to use the married joint tax rates )assuming you have a qualifying dependent to claim.  You would simply continue to file married separate this year.
Anita01

Please see the following. It shows you that you can only file married joint or married separate in the year of death.
 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://apps.irs.gov/app/understandingTaxes/hows/tax_tutorials/mod05/tt_mod05_08.jsp">https://apps.i...>
duluthian

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will try it out and get back to you in a couple hours.  Can't do it right at this moment.  BTW - no dependents.  Thanks again.
duluthian

The "Reject" by the IRS continues.  I have verified that I am filing "married filing separate."  I have checked my wife's filing and it correctly notes that "Deceased (Name) (Date) at top of her 1040 and her filing also indicates "married filing separate."  The reject note I get from the IRS reads exactly as follows: "The Spouse SSN in the return has been locked because the Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual."  So now the question morphs to "why is this a problem?"  As far as I can tell, I am doing everything correctly.  I would GREATLY appreciate any insight into this matter.  Thanks in advance.
Anita01

Nothing wrong with what you are doing.  Locking the number is a precaution the IRS uses to help prevent identify theft.  You are entitled to file jointly and that would be your only other option to e-file.  You could then wait until that return is completely processed and file an amended return by mail.  Or, you can simply print and file this return by mail.
duluthian

Thank You!  (I just happened to be online)  I'll try to figure it out from here.  Been using TT since before it was even TT (back in the MacInTax days).  This is the first time I've had so much trouble.  And of course, it has been very trying.
Anita01

Sorry about both your personal situation and the irritation .  The IRS keeps changing what they use to foil identity theft, and this time, you were caught erroneously in the trap.  I understand how trying this would be for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies