turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mommabens

Why was my form 8962 not submitted with my tax form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

The Plan Name can be a source of this problem.  Some state plan names (that do require a 1095-A) are very similar to other plan names that do not require the 1095-A.  If you accidentally selected the wrong plan name in TurboTax, you may have been allowed to skip past the 1095-A entry screen.  

If there was no 8962 submitted with your return, it is because there was not a 1095-A entered when you completed your tax return.  The 8962 will automatically generate when a 1095-A tax form is entered.  However, TurboTax does not know if you have a 1095-A or not.  When you go through the Health Insurance section, you are asked about what type of coverage you have.  If you indicate that you were covered by an ACA (Obamacare), Marketplace, or another plan that issues a 1095-A, you are required to enter your 1095-A and the 8962 is automatically generated.  

If you had an Obamacare plan but answered No to that question, TurboTax did not know about your 1095-A and would not have created a Form 8962.  

Here are the instructions to add the 8962 if you have already filed.  To be safe, choose the ACA option which will trigger TurboTax to force you to enter the 1095-A and therefore generate the 8962.  The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2018 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

If you have any issues when trying to generate the form - leave a comment and I will help you get it!
mommabens

why was my IRS form 8962  not submitted with my ta return?......................................bb
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Because the 1095-A was not entered...do you have the 1095-A now to enter?  
mommabens

what do I do now?.......................bb
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Do you have the 1095-A?   <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4348755-the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962-for-2018">https://ttlc.int...>
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

The Plan Name can be a source of this problem.  Some state plan names (that do require a 1095-A) are very similar to other plan names that do not require the 1095-A.  If you accidentally selected the wrong plan name in TurboTax, you may have been allowed to skip past the 1095-A entry screen.  

If there was no 8962 submitted with your return, it is because there was not a 1095-A entered when you completed your tax return.  The 8962 will automatically generate when a 1095-A tax form is entered.  However, TurboTax does not know if you have a 1095-A or not.  When you go through the Health Insurance section, you are asked about what type of coverage you have.  If you indicate that you were covered by an ACA (Obamacare), Marketplace, or another plan that issues a 1095-A, you are required to enter your 1095-A and the 8962 is automatically generated.  

If you had an Obamacare plan but answered No to that question, TurboTax did not know about your 1095-A and would not have created a Form 8962.  

Here are the instructions to add the 8962 if you have already filed.  To be safe, choose the ACA option which will trigger TurboTax to force you to enter the 1095-A and therefore generate the 8962.  The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2018 

I entered 1095A  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies