turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Illusions

Independent Contractor W9 using an EIN lists his name one line, his company name next line. 1099 Misc has just one line. Type his Name-DBA company name? Just company?

I used many Independent Contractors last year.

Some work under their SS, some under an EIN.

When I have them fill out a W9, the EIN using Contractors list their name as the top line, then they list a Business name on the next line.

AKA: 
Bob Brown
Bob's Balloon Parties

The Turbo Tax form for 1099 Misc EIN only has one line - "company name"

Would I ONLY use:
Bob's Balloon Parties ?

or would I use: 
Bob Brown DBA Bob's Balloon Parties ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Independent Contractor W9 using an EIN lists his name one line, his company name next line. 1099 Misc has just one line. Type his Name-DBA company name? Just company?

The name must match the number.  If an EIN is provided, you will only use the contractor's Company Name in TurboTax.

When completing information returns, you must report the Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) accurately on the 1099-Misc to the contractor and the IRS.

When paying individuals, it's the name and Social Security Number.  When paying business entities, it's the name and Employer Identification Number (EIN)

It is the responsibility of the business issuing the 1099-Misc to verify that the information provided by the independent contractor is correct.  If there are errors in names and numbers, the IRS will impose a penalty on the payor.  

You can verify taxpayer information by confirming that the data entered on the taxpayer's W-9 is correct.  Some business can validate the taxpayer's W-9, by setting up a free e-Service account and participating in the IRS TIN Matching Program.

See this IRS link Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) On-Line Matching for more information.

Returning Member

I only want to use 1099-MISC using my payer's TIN just like I did last year at H&R Block.  I do not want to use EIN because the recipient is not an employee, but a contract worker in my household

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies