turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

souther32

Turbotax is not generating Form 8962 after I entered the copy of Form 1095-A. Where do I find this Form 8962 filled out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Turbotax is not generating Form 8962 after I entered the copy of Form 1095-A. Where do I find this Form 8962 filled out?

The link below has information on how to file your Form 8962 with the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6765257

souther32

I have followed the instructions and spoke with someone over the phone but no help.
I have Form 1095-A. I have entered Form 1095-A on Turbo Tax. TurboTax does NOT generate a filled out Form 8962.
There is no Form 8962 when I download the PDF and view my file.
Do I have to fill this out myself or is there a way for TurboTax to do it? Thanks
mgo720

I'm having the same issue. Not using TurboTax next year.

I'm having the same problem, and my income places me in the 390% poverty level so it should give me the credit, but it isn't.  This is very frustrating!!!!!!!!

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Here is how to get the form 8962 filled out. Please note: You are NOT going to amend your return and you are NOT going to add a state return. These directions are quirky but will get the job done.

1.  Log into your return
  2. Select that you want to add a state - this lets you into the program without the amend process starting.
  3. In the top right corner, locate the Magnifying glass/search  
  4. enter the exact words 1095a
  5. Select the first entry Jump to 1095a
  6. Fill in the 1095a information
  7. Print and mail the 8962

The IRS may adjust your refund once they receive your form 8962. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am using the desktop version, is it any different?

I tried deleting my 1095-A and reentering, still no 8962 form.

@Stupidasur3 wrote:

I am using the desktop version, is it any different?

To enter your Form 1095-A -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

Or enter 1095-a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1095-a

I've already done all that, even deleted my 1095-A and re-entered it, and still no 8962 is generated.

@Stupidasur3 wrote:

I've already done all that, even deleted my 1095-A and re-entered it, and still no 8962 is generated.

The program auto generates a Form 8962 after the Form 1095-A is entered.

Look at your tax return -

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Then click on Print Center. Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return

@Stupidasur3 Sorry, forgot you are using the desktop editions.

Click on Forms in the upper right of the progam screen.  When if Form mode the Form 8962 will be listed on the left side of the screen.

If not, then click on Open Form at the top left of the screen.  Enter 8962 and open the form.  Are any amounts entered on the form?

Ok, I was able to get to the form using the last suggestion mentioned.  I figured out why it wasn't showing the form 8962 and I'm not sure if it's correct or not, because it is showing that we are at the 401% poverty level.  My husband now draws social security, which has a taxable portion that is $2304.00 less than what was actually received.  My adjusted gross income is $2304.00 less than the Modified Adjusted Gross income used by Form 8962, which puts us above the 400% poverty level, basically meaning the difference of receiving a $3750 refund or paying $3,221.00 in tax owed, a difference of almost $7000.00.  I really wish that the government would do something about this.  This cut-off for the Premium Tax Credit should be graduated somehow.  Seven thousand dollars is a big difference to someone who only makes about $65,000 for the year.  We are NOT rich, as they would have us believe.   

Ok, another question, is the 2019 Federal Poverty level $16,460, as used by Turbotax, or $16,910, as shown on the Department of Health and Human Services website.  If the latter, then I AM due the Premium Tax Credit.  Anyone know the answer to this?

@Stupidasur3 wrote:

Ok, another question, is the 2019 Federal Poverty level $16,460, as used by Turbotax, or $16,910, as shown on the Department of Health and Human Services website.  If the latter, then I AM due the Premium Tax Credit.  Anyone know the answer to this?

TurboTax uses the Federal Poverty Line, $16,460 for a family of 2, from the IRS Form 8962 for Line 4 of the form.  See table 1-1 in the IRS Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit instructions page 6 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8962.pdf#page=6

Form 8962 Poverty Line 2019.JPG

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies