turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS pulled my payment twice

I was just reviewing my bank account and noticed that the IRS pulled the same payment TWICE, four days apart.  This was back in April at tax time.  I owed $3402, they pulled that amount on the 10th and on the 14th.  I can't find records of it in either IRS Direct Pay, or in EFTPS, but the money was taken.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS should catch the double payment and issue you a refund.  You can also contact the IRS regarding the double payment for more information.

You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040; don’t select Option 1 for refund that will just take you to an automated response, instead:

- Choose Option 2 (Personal income tax)

- Then press 1 (Form, tax history, or payment)

- Press 4 (For all other questions)

- Press 2 (For all other questions)

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  After is asks twice, you will get another menu

- Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions, it should then connect you to a live person

View solution in original post

70 Replies

Did you go to the EFTPS and pay it yourself and then put down the bank info on your tax return so the IRS pulled it again?   And they both have the same description on your bank statement?  Guess you better call the IRS 1-800-829-1040.  If you paid it yourself using EFTPS maybe you put it down as a 2015 Estimated tax payment instead of a 2014 tax due payment.  

I would also get a copy of your account from the IRS and see if it shows twice.  
<a href="http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript</a>

The IRS should catch the double payment and issue you a refund.  You can also contact the IRS regarding the double payment for more information.

You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040; don’t select Option 1 for refund that will just take you to an automated response, instead:

- Choose Option 2 (Personal income tax)

- Then press 1 (Form, tax history, or payment)

- Press 4 (For all other questions)

- Press 2 (For all other questions)

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  After is asks twice, you will get another menu

- Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions, it should then connect you to a live person

What ended up happening? I’m having the exact same issue

Same problem here also. 

They told me I had payment scheduled when I submitted my tax returns. 

Anyone else having this problem , what did you do to fix it.

RyceCake

I'm having the same issue.  Has anyone had success resolving this??  What did you do?

Same here. I'm paying 4.259$ in 4 installments, 2 already payed. Yesterday they grabbed the whole chunk from my account -- obviously without notice. I called them the morning after following the instructions posted here. They said that the payment hasn't been processed by their system yet, so it doesn't yet appear in my IRS account. They will refund me as soon as possible starting next wee, i.e. allowing a few business days to process the payment.

I'm lucky 1) I had the money in my account 2) it's not credit card payment day

Insane.

Yes, it just happened to me too. I don't know what to do about it. None of the information on the irs website is up to date. I chose to mail in checks when e-filing and then I made a payment back in April and then again on 7/13 to pay off what I owed. Then today when I checked my bank account balance, I noticed that the full amount that I owed was debited on 7/15/20. I never requested that, so I am at a loss for how to fix it. When I called the irs they told me to call [phone number removed], but the automated system couldn't find my payment. I don't know if it was even applied to my account because I can't get an updated account balance from the irs website and none of my recent payments are showing up on my transcript. 

Was this money debited by the turbotax system or from the irs directly?

Ok ... lets see if I understand ... you set up for the 2019 balance due to be debited out of your account as directed.    And you had 2 "payments" as well ?  The "4" payments are NOT for the 2019 return ... they are  estimates for the 2020 tax year.   Did you make 2  2020 estimated payments thinking they were for 2019 balance due ? 

Ok sorry if it was confusing.

I'm talking 2019 taxes. Ended up with outstanding balance to IRS of about 4k. I chose to pay in 4 checks to be sent by mail. I have the check vouchers on my tax return pdf. I started paying the checks and everything seemed fine. Until 2 days ago when 4k got pulled directly my bank account by IRS. I called them and they admit the mistake. I have to wait a few days that the transfer appears on my IRS account so that can send the money back.

I hope this is more clear 

This was pulled by IRS directly.

In fact I'm wondering if TurboTax had anything to do with it, bug or something... I chose to pay my debt with IRS by 4 checks and I have the vouchers. The IRS started taking the money through the vouchers. Somehow they ALSO charged me for the total of the debt two days ago. When I called them they admitted the mistake and I wonder if this was triggered by TurboTax. 

Sorry to tell you this but those 4 vouchers were for 2020 estimated payments  not to pay the 2019 balance due ... review them carefully.   AND  you must have set up the entire 2019 balance due to be debited ... review what you did ... save a PDF with the worksheets or look in the FILE tab again.

How you chose to pay the taxes owed will be on the Filing Instructions page included with your tax return.

Sign onto your TurboTax online account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down and click on Add a State.  This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Then click on Print Center. Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.

You are right, thank you. The vouchers are indeed Form 1040-ES and are automatically added to the PDF if some conditions are met, as explained in the FAQs.

1) We did not know the existence of Form 1040-ES, and obviously we did not know it is not mandatory to pay the estimated taxes (though encouraged in order not to have future problems with IRS)

2) We recall reviewing the filing options and either selecting or thinking about how to pay in installments. We do recall now that once the PDF was printed out, we were surprised to find out there were the 4 vouchers for the correct amount we owed the IRS. Hence we assumed those were indeed the checks we were looking for and in total confusion we thought we actually selected the correct option.

3) We do not recall having seen any instruction, warning, or alert about those estimated taxes for 2020. Because of our current economic hardship, we certainly would not have paid right now. We are even lucky there were enough money for the IRS to take in the first place... This is something for TurboTax to think about!

4) It's interesting that IRS admitted the mistake by phone, but I can imagine how he did not understand my case. I'll call again next Monday.

Now, is there any luck to get at least the 2k we payed for 1040-ES back?

Thank you again. 

Sadly other than getting it back on your 2020 return there is nothing I know you can do with the IRS. 

What you can do is adjust any withholdings you are currently having withheld like a paycheck or retirement distributions so you have more in your pocket each month. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies