turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work cleaning houses is been two years but I don’t know have to do taxes about those years can you help me

I work cleaning houses by my own how can I report 2 years
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I work cleaning houses is been two years but I don’t know have to do taxes about those years can you help me

The IRS considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security) on any profits greater than $400. You report the income from your own records.

You may have to upgrade to the Self Employment version of TT. If you have no expenses to deduct, There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. 

On your 2017 tax return, you report only your income and expenses for 2017. If you have unreported income fro 2016, you file an amended 2016 return to report that income. If you did not file a 2016 return, then you can file a new return (instead of an amended one) now.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

It sounds to me like you are self-employed. If so, then as far as the IRS is concerned you are "in business" for yourself. If you are the only owner of the business, then your business income and expenses are reported on SCH C as a part of your personal tax return. Now you say "it's been two years". So for taxes, what two years are you referring to? 2016 and 2017? Or 2015 and 2016? Also, did you file a tax return "at all" for the tax years in question?
Also, have you been keeping written records of all your business income and expenses? If not, then do you have bank records or credit card statements to prove your expenses for the business?
We can probably help you out getting started here once you've provided a bit more details. But in the end if you start to get uncomfortable you may find it will put your mind more at ease if you utilize the services of a local CPA or tax attorney. But hey, it doesn't hurt to at least try.

Yes I want to get start.
I didn’t report this job because I didn’t know how to do it but if I get help will be great.
I start this jo on 2015 and it’s still my present so I would like to report taxe for 2015-2017 and yes I have expenses to report my phone and car maintance and I buy cleaning product

You need to buy the Desktop programs to do 2015 and 2016or amend them.  Do you have access to a full Windows PC or Mac computer to install them on?  You can buy the prior year programs here
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/persona...>

Did you file a 2015 or 2016 return and need to add this income to them?  Or do you need to still file an original return?
Hal_Al
Level 15

The IRS considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security) on any profits greater than $400. You report the income from your own records.

You may have to upgrade to the Self Employment version of TT. If you have no expenses to deduct, There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. 

On your 2017 tax return, you report only your income and expenses for 2017. If you have unreported income fro 2016, you file an amended 2016 return to report that income. If you did not file a 2016 return, then you can file a new return (instead of an amended one) now.

Carl
Level 15

Start with the 2015 tax return first, and do not even concern yourself with 2016 until AFTER you have completed and mailed the 2015 return. If by chance you will be receiving a refund on that return (which I doubt) then you would want to wait until you received the refund before dealing with the next tax year.
For the 2015 tax return, you will need to purchase, download and install the desktop version of TurboTax 2015. You can buy it at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/persona...> and MAKE SURE you are under the correct tab for the 2015 tax year. Otherwise, if you buy the program for the wrong year, you own it.
When purchasing the program, you indicated you have business income "and" expenses. Also, since you've never done this before you should buy the "Home & Business" version. Yes, it's the most expensive one. While you can do a SCH C with the Premier version, the Home & Business version has more "help" in it than the lower version does.
Now understand this: With the desktop version it's no problem to do several "run throughs" and start over. So don't worry about making it perfect the first time. Chances are, you won't.
So purchase, download and install the program. There will be a "TurboTax 2015" icon on your desktop. Fire it up and get started. As I've already stated, you *will* make mistakes the first few times because there will be things you "think" you understand, and don't realize until a few screens later that you "got it wrong". It's called "learning", and you don't learn this stuff through osmosis, but through the "experience" of actually "doing it". I'd say about ninety five percent of what I know about taxes and the TurboTax Program is what not to do..... and I didn't learn it by not doing it either. 🙂
So take your time, remember, there is a "BACK" button on all screens, and by all means if something is not clear to you or if you have questions, then ASK. That's what we're here for. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Get things wrong and that stupid question you didn't ask can have the potential you cost you in the way of deductions you did not take.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies