turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vmansouri

The interest on my home equity line of credit is not getting deducted. The interest on my mortgage is less than the HELOC whose value is less than $1,000,000.

the interest on my HELOC is about $11,000. If I enter $5, I see the same tax burden, if I increase to $20,000, I get a deduction. Is there a reason I don't get the deduction at $11,000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

The interest on my home equity line of credit is not getting deducted. The interest on my mortgage is less than the HELOC whose value is less than $1,000,000.

In order to get the benefit for your mortgage interest deduction you need to be itemizing your deductions. So it's possible that at $11k of mortgage interest the total of your itemized deductions is not greater than the standard deduction, but that at $20k the itemized deductions DO exceed the standard deduction. If you're filing single the standard deduction is $12k, if you are married filing jointly it's $24k. 

Please visit this comprehensive article for more information about the standard and itemized deductions: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302313

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies