turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nbruce327

My child has interest income from a savings account. How do I report that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

The interest income is your child's income, not your own income. So, the question is does your child need to file a tax return?

Maybe. It depends on the amount of interest we are talking about here.

Assuming this is his/her only income :

-At or Under $1050? You don't have to do a thing. It is also not added to your return.-

-He/she must file if the interest (or other such unearned income) is over $1050. This doesn't necessarily mean he/ you will owe taxes, it just means a dependent return must be filed. Be sure to indicate that your child is claimed as a dependent on another return. If you are online, you will need to create a new account/ a new username to file your child's return.

If the child has enough interest/ unearned income that she/he is already required to file, then you may have the option to add it to your return using special rules.

Filing requirements for dependents can be found here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

The interest income is your child's income, not your own income. So, the question is does your child need to file a tax return?

Maybe. It depends on the amount of interest we are talking about here.

Assuming this is his/her only income :

-At or Under $1050? You don't have to do a thing. It is also not added to your return.-

-He/she must file if the interest (or other such unearned income) is over $1050. This doesn't necessarily mean he/ you will owe taxes, it just means a dependent return must be filed. Be sure to indicate that your child is claimed as a dependent on another return. If you are online, you will need to create a new account/ a new username to file your child's return.

If the child has enough interest/ unearned income that she/he is already required to file, then you may have the option to add it to your return using special rules.

Filing requirements for dependents can be found here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf 

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

1099-INT forms are added under Federal Taxes-Wages and Income- Interest and Dividends (if a return is required)
nbruce327

Thanks! Makes sense. She's only 2 and it's only $10. Just got caught up in all the forms I was entering.
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

No problem- that's what we are here for. And $10 is more than I got from my bank 😉
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies