turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dommydom

The instructions where to mail in form 1096 is different between turbotax and the irs instructions on where to send form 1096 in texas so which one is correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

The instructions where to mail in form 1096 is different between turbotax and the irs instructions on where to send form 1096 in texas so which one is correct?

I just looked up where to file Form 1096 if you are a Texas resident.  Apparently, the address has recently changed.  You're wise to look up the IRS' most current info.  I'll report this to TurboTax for correction.  

In the meantime, use the IRS info.  Always.  I'm attaching a pic of a screenshot I just took showing the address to file your information form.

2021-01-11 22_15_02-Window.png

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@dommydom Could you please tell me where in TurboTax you're seeing an incorrect address for mailing the Form 1096?  Moderators are already working on making the correction. 

Thanks!

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
dommydom

Here is the TT instruction page for 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC:

Instructions for filing Forms 1099-NEC and 1096:
1 For each Form 1099-NEC, you should have the following copies:
a Copy A for the Internal Revenue Service (two different forms per page);
b Copies B, C, and 1;
(Copy B for the recipient);
(Copy C for your records);
(Copy 1 for the state tax department, if required).
2 Include all pages of Copy A with Form 1096 (do not staple),
sign Form 1096, and mail to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301

Here is the IRS Form 1096 Instructions:

Where To File
Send all information returns filed on paper with Form 1096 to the
following.
If your principal business, office or agency, or legal residence in the case of an individual, is located in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Vermont, Virginia

Use the following address
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin Submission Processing Center
P.O. Box 149213
Austin, TX 78741

You can see for yourself after completing 1099's and 1096's. Please let me know where to send the 1096 as my envelope is ready to go. But where? 

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@dommydom Thanks for your reply!  I still say mail to the address listed on the IRS website.  That PO box address will certainly get your forms to the proper place in Austin in a timely fashion.  

May I ask at which point in your forms prep you're seeing the incorrect address?  Are you using Quick Employer Forms, and is this the screen you're seeing after preparing?

I'm passing this on to the TurboTax Moderators, as they are wanting to make corrections based on your question.  Thank you again!

dommydom

Thanks for the reply however you make the disclaimer, *** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.*** What if that does not get to the proper department on time or gets lost in the shuffle. I have been waiting over 6 months for IRS approval of FORM 2553. I had to send them a second request and still have not heard from them even though I sent the 2nd form certified mail - return receipt requested. I guess what I am looking for is someone at TT to admit to the mistake and fix the program or send out a notice to each registered user. I would call the IRS but I would be on hold for hours. 

Kind regards

Dominic

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@dommydom I'll ask one of the TurboTax Moderators to reach out to you.  They may do it by email, or on this thread.  So sorry for all of your angst in working with the IRS.  I've had similar issues before, too.  And now with the coronavirus, the phone lines are impossible.  

IF, by the way, you have proof that you mailed forms to the IRS in a timely fashion, you shouldn't be penalized in any way.  I've had to produce that evidence before, so keep all receipts, etc.

Best of luck to you, Dominic!

It didn't create the copy A when I tried to print form 1096. What should I do?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please read the information provided by Opus 17 in this thread regarding Form 1096. 

@baovanfamily

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Anyone has any idea?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@baovanfamily If you used TurboTax Quick Employer Forms to prepare and e-file your Forms 1099 or Forms W-2, the QEF program does not print Copy A.  Copy A is e-filed with the IRS and SSA, but there is no need to print.  See the final answer in the thread I've linked below.  The answer is provided by VolvoGirl.

Solved: How do I print 1096 and 1099-NEC on red IRS prepri... - Page 2 (intuit.com)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies