turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fill out/where do I find the 1040 on turbotax? I tried navigating to it from the search results but it just takes me back to the tax home page

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
MollsBBU

How do I fill out/where do I find the 1040 on turbotax? I tried navigating to it from the search results but it just takes me back to the tax home page

The Form 1040 is the backbone of your Federal return so you can only preview it in its entirety - rather than revisiting a set list of questions in the software. 

To preview your 1040:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online.
  2. Next, click the Take me to my return button
  3. Click Tax Tools from the black menu to the left
  4. Then, select Tools
    To see the Tools option here, you must have moved past the orange "Take me to my return" button and you must be using a web browser (the mobile app will not show you the Tools feature)
  5. In the black menu to the left, click on Preview my 1040 to view your form
skhugshal

how i can download this.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You can review the 1040 in TurboTax Online by following these directions. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Tax Tools.
  • Click on Tools.
  • Under Other helpful links, click on View Tax Summary.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on State Tax Summary to see the actual tax return that you prepared.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Preview My 1040 to see the actual tax return that you prepared.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Back to return.

You can print or view your full tax return prior to filing after you have paid for the software.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pj4ck20

I'm not seeing a way to review form MO-1040. I've looked in the tools tab and did not see a link to preview it even though I've received an email stating that it was ready to review 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

With TurboTax online @pj4ck20, you can see a state tax summary but you cannot see Form MO-1040 until you pay for TurboTax. Once your return is paid, you can use Print Center to view all your forms.

To see your Missouri state summary:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left column
  2. Select Tools
  3. Click View tax summery in the center box
  4. Click on MO tax summary in the left column
  5. When you are done, hit Back in the left column

Step 4 doesnt work. There is no MO option to click. This is also showing my 2021 current tax info and not my past 2020 1040.

@Elvin1924    Are you using the Online version?   Or the Desktop installed program?

For Online

You might need to be inside your current return or start a return for the side menus to open up.  Continue into your return a few screens.

How to find Tools

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/where-is-the-tools-menu/

bblgbrwn

You say on the left side of screen click tax ?, but there is nothing here to click. The text is indicating that what I need to click on the left side of my screen and nothing is there.

bblgbrwn

Am I supposed to be in an app from IRS?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, you're not supposed to be in an IRS App; you'll be in TurboTax. 

In TurboTax Online (while in your Federal return), click on Tax Tools > Tools in the left-side black menu (screenshot).

Then a pop-up window appears, titled 'Tools Center'.  Choose 'View Tax Summary' (screenshot).

Then (back on the left-side black menu), Choose 'Preview My 1040' (screenshot).

Click this link for more info on How to View and Delete Forms in TurboTax Online.

AL105

How do I edit this form?  I am only able to view it. 

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You cannot edit a form in TurboTax Online.  You need to use the magnifying glass icon when you're in the step-by-step entry area (not reviewing your 1040) and search for the topic you need to change.  You can also click on the headers at the top of the screen, Income & Expenses or Deductions & Credits, if you know where the topic is you're trying to change.

@AL105

This depends on which product you have.  I use TurboTax Deluxe which I purchased.

So for me, I start the TT application and it says start a new return right on the first screen.

Each time you do something to your return, be sure to do a SAVE.  Deluxe offers this option to save each time you close out your session in a normal way.

Start the tax return.  Save the return with a sensible name.  Continue using the return or stop Turbo Tax activity.  Observe which disk the tax return is on...backup this file/library/disk somewhere.

When you continue using Turbo Tax it will help you to select your saved file and allow you to key in new/changed data.

When you're working in the tax return and wish to finish by filing, you can print it and/or file electronically or both.

Keep a copy of your tax file, maybe on paper also.  This copy will be used in next year's startup for 2022 tax season.

Which product?  Mine is Turbo Tax Deluxe, and it is on my hard disk.

When I start TT Deluxe in Windows 10 there is an option on the top of the screen for Forms.  Click that for a list of tax forms.  Click the one you need on that list.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies