Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nmunicorn

The DOE is taking my return, how do I get it back? I'm out of work on medical leave and have NO income, I have children. Please help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarolynB

The DOE is taking my return, how do I get it back? I'm out of work on medical leave and have NO income, I have children. Please help.

Hi, it sounds like you are referring to a refund offset. This occurs when an IRS refund is reduced or intercepted to pay off delinquent debt, such as past-due child support, outstanding student loans, or unpaid state income tax.

If your refund is being offset you will get an explanatory letter from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, or State Department of Revenue. You can contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service at 800-304-3107 if you did not receive a letter but believe your refund is being offset. They can also give you more information on the appeals process.

follow this link for more information on Refund Offsets and how to appeal them:

www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CarolynB

Hi, it sounds like you are referring to a refund offset. This occurs when an IRS refund is reduced or intercepted to pay off delinquent debt, such as past-due child support, outstanding student loans, or unpaid state income tax.

If your refund is being offset you will get an explanatory letter from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, or State Department of Revenue. You can contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service at 800-304-3107 if you did not receive a letter but believe your refund is being offset. They can also give you more information on the appeals process.

follow this link for more information on Refund Offsets and how to appeal them:

www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

I hope this helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies