turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When filing a gift on the Federal Tax forms, what information is needed about the recipient?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When filing a gift on the Federal Tax forms, what information is needed about the recipient?

A gift given to an individual is not reported on a federal tax return.  A gift received from an individual is not reported on a federal tax return, regardless of the amount received.

If the gift given is $14,000 or more to a single individual then you have to complete and file a Form 709 Gift Tax return.  There will be no taxes owed on the gift if your total gifts given in a lifetime are less than $5.45 million.

TurboTax does not support IRS Form 709

View solution in original post

7 Replies

on the individual tax return, gifts do not appear. So where were you planing to list this ?

The below does answer my question.  Does this mean I can’t use turbotax to file taxes if I gave a gift? or can form 709 be attached to turbo tax before filing?

The below does answer my question.  Does this mean I can’t use turbotax to file taxes if I gave a gift? or can form 709 be attached to turbo tax before filing?

TurboTax does not provide or support form 709.  You do not include it with your income tax return.  You can get the form from the IRS: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f709.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f709.pdf</a>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The gift tax return is a separate tax return.  You can still file your personal tax return, Form 1040, using TurboTax.

Thank you

A gift given to an individual is not reported on a federal tax return.  A gift received from an individual is not reported on a federal tax return, regardless of the amount received.

If the gift given is $14,000 or more to a single individual then you have to complete and file a Form 709 Gift Tax return.  There will be no taxes owed on the gift if your total gifts given in a lifetime are less than $5.45 million.

TurboTax does not support IRS Form 709

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies