Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The affordable care act section under Medical, usually asks for my dependents modified AGI. How come I am not getting any interview questions about that this year.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

The affordable care act section under Medical, usually asks for my dependents modified AGI. How come I am not getting any interview questions about that this year.

Starting in 2019, there's no longer a penalty for not having health insurance. However, if you had health insurance through Marketplace or received a Form 1095-A, you'll need to fill out a Form 8962 to reconcile the Premium Tax Credit. We'll create this for you when you enter your info.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

With all due respect, this does not answer the question.  In order to reconcile the advance payments of the premium tax credit, it is necessary to enter the dependent's modified AGI on Form 8962.  There is no place to enter this information in the Form 1095-A section of the software.  Please advise how to get the dependent modified AGI into the software.  Thank you.

@davidwharris1657 

You only need to add the Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) for dependents listed on this return who are required to file a tax return (excluding if they filed a return to only claim a full refund of taxes withheld or estimated taxes paid).

Is this your situation?

Yes that is my situation.   Direct question - where do I enter the dependent's MAGI in order to populate Form 8962, Part I, Line 2b.    I am a CPA and understand what the form is asking for and why.

@davidwharris1657 wrote:

Yes that is my situation.   Direct question - where do I enter the dependent's MAGI in order to populate Form 8962, Part I, Line 2b.    I am a CPA and understand what the form is asking for and why.

The Dependent's MAGI can only be entered directly on the Form 8962 in box 2b of the form.  Using TurboTax this can only be done when using the desktop CD/Download editions in Forms mode.  It is not available using the TurboTax online editions.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for switching from the online edition to the desktop editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Thats odd.  I used the online version last year 2018 and it populated the dependent Part 1 Line 2b MAGI on form 8962 for me.  It also figured my household income using the online version.  So i must have been asked certain interview questions about that field.  I did not enter it using the CD software.  Is this a change in 2019?

jennifer361
Returning Member

I am wondering the same thing.  Was just on hold with tech support for over one hour and can't get the answer. Last year, my situation was exactly the same and I had no problem entering it using the web based version.  

Ron19692

Was this ever resolved? I have the same question. I asked TurboTax and they told me once I hit e-file those question would be asked, but I feel that is risky.

@Ron19692 wrote:

Was this ever resolved? I have the same question. I asked TurboTax and they told me once I hit e-file those question would be asked, but I feel that is risky.

If you have a dependent entered on your tax return then after the Form 1095-A is entered the following screen will have a selection for entering the dependents MAGI.

Form 1095-A Select Depend MAGI.JPG

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This error was corrected.  You might need to delete your 1095-A and re-enter it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ron19692

It’s not corrected. And I just spent an hour online with TurboTax that didn’t even know what I was needing 

@Ron19692 wrote:

It’s not corrected. And I just spent an hour online with TurboTax that didn’t even know what I was needing 

If you have a dependent entered on your tax return then after the Form 1095-A is entered the following screen will have a selection for entering the dependents MAGI.

Form 1095-A Select Depend MAGI.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies