turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I enter all 6 digits of my IRS PIN in Turbotax? The form is only allowing me to enter 5 digits.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I enter all 6 digits of my IRS PIN in Turbotax? The form is only allowing me to enter 5 digits.

The 6-digit code you have is your Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) - that is different from the 5-digit PIN that is your electronic signature.  Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for how to enter your IP PIN.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301088

View solution in original post

24 Replies

The 6-digit code you have is your Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) - that is different from the 5-digit PIN that is your electronic signature.  Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for how to enter your IP PIN.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301088

kdubbe

<code removed>

Please don't post your pin #, code or any Personal Info in this public user forum.  It is not safe.  Everyone in the whole world can see it.

@ kdubbe 

As VolvoGirl mentioned, do not post personal info in this public forum.  You can edit your comment to remove the personal info by clicking the tiny 3-dot blue icon just to the right of your comment and choosing Edit.

The IP PIN entry is not in the FILE section.  It is in a completely different section of the TurboTax interview. Here are 3 ways to get to the right place to enter the IP PIN.  You only need to use one method.   You can choose which method works for you the best.

• With your return open, click in the top right corner on SEARCH.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes, ignore the dropdown menu while entering it, and instead click the magnifying glass on that same line.
  • Then click on Jump to IP PIN.

Or here's a second way:

• With your return open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose TOPIC SEARCH.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes.
  • In the selection list highlight IP PIN and click GO.

Or here's a third navigation method:

• With your return open, in the left menu column, click Federal.
  • Then at the top of the screen choose  Other Tax Situations
  • After that, if necessary, click on "See all uncommon tax situations" to see all the topics in that section.
  • In the "Uncommon tax situations" list, scroll down to Other Return Info, and expand to see the subtopics, one of which is Identity Protection PIN.

thanks for posting the solution for this... every bloody year, this issue comes up, yet intuit has yet to fix it >_<

You're welcome.  Good luck.

I would like to suggest that Turbo-tax guide you thru where to enter the 6 digit pin if you have received one from the IRS.  I would think it should be added to the "Walk me thru everything" section.  I had to do a Google search to find out the answer.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

The TurboTax article on adding or removing your 6 digit IP PIN can be found on the page How do I add or remove my 6-digit IP PIN?

Adding or Removing your IP PIN:

1. Open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for IP PIN (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.
    • If you need to remove the IP PIN, select edit, then the trash icon.
  4. Select Done.

@LGuzik

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, I do realize you can search within Turbo-tax to find where to enter the 6 digit pin#.  My point is that Turbo-tax asks you for everything else and guides you thru.  Why not also ask if you have a 6 digit pin?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

This sounds like an identity pin that you need to report because of problems you had in the past regarding fraudulent activity. To enter this.

1. Log into Turbo Tax
  2. Select pick up where I left off.
  3. Go to other Tax Situations
  4. Scroll down to Other Return information
  5. "Identity Protection PIN", and click START.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Batts

Click on FEDERAL TAXES tab,

Then sub tab "other tax situations"

Scroll down to "other return info"

Find Subtopic "identity protection PIN", and click START

sheety
Returning Member

Bull**bleep**. You guys **bleep**ed this up big time. you have no clue how to solve this problem.

There is NO "SEARCH" OPTION WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR FEDERAL TAXES, and if you **bleep** brains didn't know that, you don't even know your own software.

Last year I ever use this crap.

@ sheety wrote:

Bull**bleep**. You guys **bleep**ed this up big time. you have no clue how to solve this problem.

There is NO "SEARCH" OPTION WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR FEDERAL TAXES, and if you **bleep** brains didn't know that, you don't even know your own software.

This is mainly a user community forum, not a direct route to TurboTax Support.  You provided no actual info on your issues so I'll try to read between the rant and assume you want to know how to enter a 6-digit IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN) since that's the title of this thread.   We can tell you how to enter a 6-digit IP PIN.    Lower down in this answer I'm going to tell you 3 different ways to do so, including 2 alternate ways that don't use the Search function.  I'll also illustrate how to use the Search function.

We don't know if you are referring to Online TurboTax or desktop software (CD/download), both of which have a search function, although it looks a little different in the 2 platforms.   Here's an image from Online TurboTax.    This illustrates "Method 1" which I've listed below.

IPPin3.png

METHOD 1:

• With your return open, click in the top right corner on SEARCH (or magnifying glass icon).
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes, ignore the dropdown menu while entering it, and instead after entering the term, click the small adjacent magnifying glass on that same line.
  • Then click on Jump to IP PIN.

Or here's an alternate way to get there:

• With your return open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose TOPIC SEARCH.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes.
  • In the selection list highlight IP PIN and click GO.

Or here's a third method:

• With your return open, in the left menu column, click Federal.
  • Then at the top of the screen choose  Other Tax Situations
  • After that, if necessary, click on "See all uncommon tax situations" to see all the topics in that section.
  • In the "Uncommon tax situations" list, scroll down to Other Return Info, and expand to see the subtopics, one of which is Identity Protection PIN.

If you follow the interview screen by screen then the  Other Tax Situations tab will be presented and if you don't skip that section you will see the IP PIN section every time ... since you have an IP PIN to enter every tax year then you need to make yourself a note to not skip this section by ... look for it on purpose since it is always in the same place in the program.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies