turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aguirrec3

If I claim my child as a dependent can she still file her own taxes and how ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

Yes, your daughter would file her own income tax return to get a refund. 

If your daughter got a W-2 for 2016 and had federal income tax withheld, she should file a federal income tax return to get money back (refund). TurboTax Online has a Free version you may be able to use.

If she chooses to complete an income tax return, it is important that that she choose the following options: 

• Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return and
  • And this person will claim me on their 2016 tax return.
  • See the screenshot below.

To enter the W-2:

• Type W-2 in the search bar and click search.
  • Click on Jump to W-2.
  • Enter the W-2 information.

View solution in original post

31 Replies
HelenaC

Yes, your daughter would file her own income tax return to get a refund. 

If your daughter got a W-2 for 2016 and had federal income tax withheld, she should file a federal income tax return to get money back (refund). TurboTax Online has a Free version you may be able to use.

If she chooses to complete an income tax return, it is important that that she choose the following options: 

• Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return and
  • And this person will claim me on their 2016 tax return.
  • See the screenshot below.

To enter the W-2:

• Type W-2 in the search bar and click search.
  • Click on Jump to W-2.
  • Enter the W-2 information.

SC
Level 1

apparently she has filed but the relevant questions of me filling for her as dependent was done.  what do I do now that she has filed? We take care of all her expenses as she does some part time work. my 2017 filing was rejected.
tsimons93

This just happened to me I had to mail in my tax returns we both efiled  hers got approved my was rejected so we had to print out our tax forms and mail them what a pain!! Must be a security thing in the efile system that Ss# can only be used once

MY DEPENDENT CLAIMED HIS OWN EXEMPTION
Your dependent filed a return without saying he could be claimed on your return and your return was rejected?  AFTER his return has been fully processed and he has received his refund, he has to file an amended return that says he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  Amended returns (form 1040X) have to be printed and mailed.  They cannot be e-filed; it takes the IRS a couple of months to process them.  Meanwhile, since your e-filed return has been rejected, you now have to print and mail it in to the IRS.  You will not be able to e-file. You do not have to wait for your dependent’s amended return to be processed.  Remember that when you mail a return, you need to include copies of your W-2, etc. with your return.
For your dependent:
Amend 2017
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed?...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
tsimons93

My daughter did state that she was being claimed as a dependent on her tax return and my tax return still got rejected so I’m curious next year can only one of us file electronically and the other needs to mail? She will be claimed as a dependent next year as well by me?
SC
Level 1

that was most helpful...turbo should have these options on demand as clues as to proceed.Telling me i can file but not the how/why ratio would have helped me expedite filing. I wasted precious time. thank you for your quick response.
Kai6
Returning Member

My daughter has been filing her taxes since 2017.  She lives with me also and is on my taxes as well, but since she is over 18 I dont get a tax credit for her.  Since she does file taxes, is she eligible for the stimulus?  She did not receive the first one.

@Kai6 If you claimed your daughter as a dependent then no, she will not get a stimulus check.  People who can be claimed as someone else's dependent are not eligible for stimulus checks.   If you claimed her--and she is over the age of 16, then what you get is the $500 credit for other dependents on your own tax return.  You do not get stimulus money for a dependent who is older than 16.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

You say she is over 18 and lives with you, but you offered no other information about your daughter.  Does she meet the criteria to be a qualifying child or qualifying relative for your return?

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Kai6
Returning Member

Not really looking for the extra $500 for her, as she is over the age limit.  She lives with me, yes, she is 26.  She works, and makes enough to file her own taxes, but she didn't receive the first stimulus.  I thought if you worked and filed taxes, you would qualify for the stimulus.  Confused.  She's over 18.

@Kai6 If your daughter is 26 and she had over $4200 of income in 2019 then YOU were wrong to claim her as a dependent on your own tax return.  She should not have been on your return.  You will need to amend your own return to take her off.   People who were claimed as a dependent on someone else's return cannot receive a stimulus check.

Did your daughter also say on her own return that she can be claimed?  If so, you BOTH need to amend your returns.  Realistically, it takes so long for the IRS to process amended returns that the chances for your daughter to receive a stimulus payment this year are very poor.  Amended returns must be mailed.  Mailed returns have been piling up at the IRS for months during the pandemic.  They are just beginning to dig though millions of unopened envelopes.  The "normal" four months to process an amended return will take much longer this year.

If she does not get the stimulus money in 2020, she can get it on her 2020 tax return when she files next year in 2021.  But----do NOT put her on your own tax return next year if she has over $4200 of income (not counting Social Security) even if she lives with you.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

Kai6
Returning Member

She made less than 4200 last year, lived with me the full year, and I provided for the most part her living expenses.   She has a job, not really full-time, but enough to file taxes.  This was noted on hers and mine tax returns when we filed.  Her job was directly affected by Covid-19 as well.  If we need to amend we will

@Kai6 wrote:

My daughter has been filing her taxes since 2017.  She lives with me also and is on my taxes as well, but since she is over 18 I dont get a tax credit for her.  Since she does file taxes, is she eligible for the stimulus?  She did not receive the first one.

If you claimed her as a dependent, she is not eligible for a payment in her own name.

Under the tax code, if she can be claimed as a dependent, she must check the box that says she can be claimed, even if she doesn't want to be claimed and even if you agree not to claim her.  

She can be claimed as a dependent if she had less than $4200 of taxable income for 2019 and you provided more than half her total support.  

The stimulus payment will be recalculated on her 2020 tax return.  Again for 2020, if she can be claimed as a dependent, she is supposed to check that box.  If she earns more than  $4200 for 2020 (actually, it will probably be $4250 or $4300 for 2020 due to inflation but I can't find the figure) then she does not have to check the box, and will probably qualify for a stimulus payment to be added to her tax refund next filing season.  Can she work a few extra hours to make sure her earnings are over $4300 so she will legally qualify for the stimulus?

deleted

Kai6
Returning Member

Pretty sure she checked that box, that said she can be claimed as my dependent.  That's probably the problem, which is pretty dumb if you ask me.  She hasn't been able to work, as her job was pretty much ruined due to Covid, and she's been unable to find anything else yet.  She cant even get unemployment as she was told she doesn't make enough.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies