Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When purchasing equipment for sole proprietorship, some items returned/exchanged. Do I include cost in date A and discount on date B when returned or leave out?

I purchased equipment (e.g. computer monitors, printer, etc) on several dates in 2017. On some of the earlier purchases, I found I had purchased incorrect items for my needs or found better items and returned/exchanged earlier purchases. The business expense / other common business expenses screen in TurboTax includes the date and comments (what was purchased). Do I put in the full amount on, for example, the first purchase date, and note the return (negative amount) on another line at the later date, or do I note the amount on the first purchase date less the amount of equipment that was later returned or exchanged?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When purchasing equipment for sole proprietorship, some items returned/exchanged. Do I include cost in date A and discount on date B when returned or leave out?

You can do it either way as long as you do it the same way consistently.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can do it either way as long as you do it the same way consistently.

Thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies