turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I still file with an error notice for 1099-div. Error says I need an entry in box 1a. There is only an entry in box 1b. Payee says form is correct.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Can I still file with an error notice for 1099-div. Error says I need an entry in box 1a. There is only an entry in box 1b. Payee says form is correct.

Qualified Dividends are only and always a portion or all of the Regular Dividends reported in 1a.  Qualified dividends can be less than or equal to the 1a amount but never more then that.  If the issuer is trying to tell you that the only dividends you received were qualified for capital gains treatment, you would have to fill in that same amount in 1a to make the form correct.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anita01

is the box 1b entry for qualified dividends?

On a 1099Div, box 1b is only the part (or all) of box 1a that is qualified.  You need the same amount or more in box 1a.

Yes entire entry is qualified dividends
Anita01

Then you would enter that amount in Box 1a

Thank you.
Anita01

Qualified Dividends are only and always a portion or all of the Regular Dividends reported in 1a.  Qualified dividends can be less than or equal to the 1a amount but never more then that.  If the issuer is trying to tell you that the only dividends you received were qualified for capital gains treatment, you would have to fill in that same amount in 1a to make the form correct.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies