turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm selling my used backhoe on consignment. The store said I must fill out a w9 even though we will be selling for less than we paid for it. Is this correct?

Do you have to report the amount you received from an item on consignment even though you made less than what you bought the item for originally so technically there was no profit made?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I'm selling my used backhoe on consignment. The store said I must fill out a w9 even though we will be selling for less than we paid for it. Is this correct?

The store needs form W-9 to report the amount it will pay you after the sale. If the backhoe was for your personal use and you are selling it for less than you paid for it, you do not need to report the sale on your tax return, even if the store will send you a tax form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The store needs form W-9 to report the amount it will pay you after the sale. If the backhoe was for your personal use and you are selling it for less than you paid for it, you do not need to report the sale on your tax return, even if the store will send you a tax form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you so much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies