Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lost 70 bee hives due to a storm and flooding. Each hive is a minimum of a $300 loss. How do I take this loss

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I lost 70 bee hives due to a storm and flooding. Each hive is a minimum of a $300 loss. How do I take this loss

if you are running a business, the loss becomes a business casualty loss 

if personal or hobby, only if it occurred in and during a declared federal disaster.  and then it becomes an itemized deduction   

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Are you in a federally declared disaster zone?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hi:  I am just north of Houston that was a disaster zone.  The area I have my hives on was not designated a federally disaster zone.  We never had this  much rain before.  I am in agriculture (farming) as a pecan orchard and apiary.  

No

I can not figure out how to take a business casualty  or loss in TURBO Tax
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you are running a business, the loss becomes a business casualty loss 

if personal or hobby, only if it occurred in and during a declared federal disaster.  and then it becomes an itemized deduction   

Thank you.  I am in Agriculture (pecan orchard and apiary)  I consider this a farming business.  However I am very early in both and have not made any  profit as of yet as the trees take about 8  years to produce and I have been  constantly using my honey  products to grow more hives.  This has been a terrible loss for me as over the last 5 years I have almost $50000 invested with no  income and a lot of loss.

Where do I  find business causality  or loss in Turbo Tax.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies