turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carmy_g

I got a 1099-MISC form from Teach for America. For 1040 review: How do I find the business activity code? Should I put $0 for income not reported in 1099-MISC?

I followed the instructions for non-self employment 1099-MISC but I'm still getting errors in the 1040 review. The errors are asking details of the business (name and address), other income not reported in form, method activity, if I were required to file 1099 form due to payments, business activity code, and if I materially participated. I noticed the box: "operated by Taxpayer" is automatically marked. How do I answer all these questions when they're not found in the form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

I got a 1099-MISC form from Teach for America. For 1040 review: How do I find the business activity code? Should I put $0 for income not reported in 1099-MISC?

You can find a business activity code at the IRS listing here: https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/instr/i1040sc-016.htm 

I searched "education" and found code #611000 or you can always use the miscellaneous code #999999. 

If that was your only income related to this type of work, then yes, you could put $0 other income. 

Note: If you were paid for your work, it's considered business income for the IRS. If this is correct, you shouldn't report it as non-self employment income and that sounds like why you are having difficulties.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What is "Teach for America"?   Did you do work for them?   What box of the 1099MISC is the amount shown in?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
carmy_g

Thank you for your response! Teach for America is a recruiter organization. If they didn't provide the job in the period they guaranteed, they provide a temporary job until you do get your permanent job. As a result, they send a 1099MISC for the salary they paid for the temporary job (they become a temporary employer). They only filled up box 3 with the amount. I ended up calling Turbotax who helped me solve this issue.
AmandaR1

You can find a business activity code at the IRS listing here: https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/instr/i1040sc-016.htm 

I searched "education" and found code #611000 or you can always use the miscellaneous code #999999. 

If that was your only income related to this type of work, then yes, you could put $0 other income. 

Note: If you were paid for your work, it's considered business income for the IRS. If this is correct, you shouldn't report it as non-self employment income and that sounds like why you are having difficulties.  

carmy_g

Thank you for your response! I didn't understand how to search it because I couldn't click on the magnifying glass. I had to press shift+enter which allowed me to enter the form. Select the magnifying glass icon by the box to enter business activity code, which gave me a whole list of the business codes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies