turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered $2500 stipend in 1099-MISC field in wages. I ran smart check & it shows I need to check the link to schedule C. I check box & my refund goes down $1053. Help??

This is strange because everything works smooth until I get to smart check.  Once I am asked to choose which schedule for box 3 on the 1099-MISC form, the refund goes down over $1000.  That would seem that I am paying 42% tax on that stipend.  It seems that I must be doing something wrong.  Are there different forms that I have messed up on?  I have read the steps on how to properly input a 1099-MISC.  When I delete the 1099-MISC the refund goes back up.  When I re-enter the 1099-MISC the refund does not change until I get to the Smart Check portion of Turbo Tax.  I am happy to pay the taxes if that is what I owe, I just want to check and see if I have done something wrong.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CapB

I entered $2500 stipend in 1099-MISC field in wages. I ran smart check & it shows I need to check the link to schedule C. I check box & my refund goes down $1053. Help??

If you received a Form 1099-MISC, (stipend) that was not from self-employment activities or the main service of your job, report it on Form 1040, line 21.

To edit a Form 1099-MISC to Form 1040, line 21:

1. Sign in to TurboTax. 

2. Select: Federal Taxes>Wages & Income>Other Common Income>Form 1099-MISC then press "Revisit" 

3. Continue through the Interview questions and editing your Form 1099-MISC information.

4. Be sure to select the following answers:

• "None of these apply" on the "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" page. 
  • "No" on the "Did {your description} involve work like (your name} main job?" page.

To delete a Schedule C business (new in the current year):

• Sign in to TurboTax>Take me to my return>Tax Tools> Tools>Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet and follow the onscreen instructions.

To correctly delete a prior-year Schedule C business that was transferred from last year's return, see the instructions below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300011

Thank you for the advice.  I followed this advice and it did move the income to line 21 of the 1040.  It made about a $300 difference in taxes.  However for some reason during smart check it is still asking me to make revisions on a schedule c for that stipend.  Do I need to change something else so this is no longer reported on a schedule C
fizz6kitty
Returning Member

I am having the exact same issue. My MISC income is for graduate student stipend. When it tries to put on Schedule C as a Business my money owed jumps drastically. A quick google search says I would not need to count this as a business so I delete the Schedule C income (that it duplicates over), but then the Smart Check keeps asking me which Schedule C form to use? Should I just not do the smartcheck?

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

@fizz6kitty

You must complete SmartCheck in order to e-file your return.

Before you run SmartCheck again, please follow these steps:

1. Follow the instructions in this thread for deleting Schedule C. Be sure you delete any related forms that include "sch c" in the name.
  2. Delete the Form 1099-MISC that you entered (use the trashcan icon).
  3. Re-enter your stipend income and be sure you indicate that it was:
    1) not related to your main job
    2) one-time income
    3) not an intent to make money.

Those three criteria will report the stipend correctly without generating Schedule C.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies