Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

technical help

The return was rejected because the taxpayer was reported as a dependent on another tax return. How do I fix that?

3 Replies
Level 15

technical help

did you enter the correct SSN for your dependent? if so, this issue can not be fixed.  you can not e-file. someone filed before you using the same SSN as you used for your dependent.  you will have to mail in your return.

make sure to attach all withholding forms.  Federal ones to 1040. State ones to state return. sign and date returns. use a mailing method where you get proof of delivery. also, follow TT filing instructions as to where to mail. fed goes to IRS. state goes to state.  if you are due a refund expect a long delay 4 to 6 months is not unusual. if you owe you can either submit payment with each return or use Federal and your state's website to make an electronic payment.  - Federal payment only


Level 15

technical help

Do you qualify as someone's dependent?   Did someone claim you?  Here are the rules for claiming a dependent.  Do you qualify as a dependent?


If you don't qualify to be claimed then you will need to print and mail your return and the IRS will determine if you can be a dependent.  

It could be someone claimed you by mistake.   Maybe they entered their ssn wrong and got yours by mistake.


How to mail a return from the Online version


Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.



Level 15

technical help

did you enter the correct SSN for your dependent?

There's no mention the OP has dependents. According to the original post, "the taxpayer was reported as a dependent on another tax return." Therefore, the OP needs to either check the option for "I can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return" if that option is actually true. If not true, then you have no choice but to print, sign and mail your tax return to the IRS. If a state return is involved, you'll have to print, sign and mail that also.


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings