Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to get IP PIN number because I don't have any credit card or loans. Do I have to send in paper return and not file online

UPDATE!:  Phone lines are starting to open back up at the IRS to talk to them about this issue, and here's what I have discovered so far:

- [phone number removed] is open again but assuming you navigate the menus correctly they will tell you that IP pins are not their department and to contact them in the future about it.  What they don't tell you is...

-  There is a separate number just for identity theft related issues at [phone number removed] that is set up to handle issues related to this.  They still can not send a new IP Pin to your address however, but had some interesting things to say about the process and can answer some questions you may have specific to your situation.  

-  I am told by the folks at this number that the "Get my IP Pin" tool has actually worked for some people, which is the first I have heard of the tool actually working for anyone.  So if you do have an outstanding mortgage, auto loan, credit card, student loan, etc. you might still try using the online tool to retrieve your IP Pin quicker than alternative methods.  

-  According to them waiting for their ability to reissue your IP Pin will probably take much longer than just mailing in your tax return, so they suggested that if you are waiting to file to go ahead and mail in your return with the IP Pin section blank and it will be processed normally.  Include your direct deposit information and your EIP (stimulus check) will be deposited there regardless of whether you owe them money or not. 

- If you are a "non-filer" like myself and can not use the non-filer tool to claim your check due to not having the IP Pin, then print out the 1040 forms on the IRS website, enter all your information with no reported income, include your direct deposit information, and your EIP (stimulus check) will be sent there or to the address you give them in the form if you do not have a bank account.   (Don't forget to sign it!)  They are already processing what was described to me as "truckloads" of mail-in returns, but said the wait time would still almost definitely be less than waiting for them to be able to mail you another CP01A (IP Pin letter).  

-  For those concerned about possibly missing out on the stimulus check (EIP) altogether, have no fear!!  If for some reason they do not get to it by the end of December I am told that it will be issued as a credit on 2020's taxes when you file those, so no one need worry about never receiving an EIP like some of the previous posts noted.  The waiting does suck, but at least we know now that we wont miss the boat entirely.  

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to get IP PIN number because I don't have any credit card or loans. Do I have to send in paper return and not file online

I do not have any credit cards and can't find my school loan number

@Kirsten321 wrote:

I do not have any credit cards and can't find my school loan number

You do not need a IP Pin to mail file.   Just print, sign and mail your return and do not worry about the IP Pin.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Try checking your real credit reports to fix the address or any other information you may need to have corrected. It's not a guarantee but a lot of times all the credit bureaus do not have matching info, even if its abbreviations of the address. Look up how the post office writes your address (go to type in in on the website like you are changing it bc u moved and it will give you the "correct" way to write it. Then get all three credit reports for free from annualcreditreport.Com and make sure your name & **current** address social etc are all exactly the same as your credit card /personal loan or whatever type of credit you are trying to use. If one of the reports is wrong or has a discrepancy then it will throw a red flag. It might help to call each credit bureau Equifax, experian, Transunion, to make sure that there aren't any issues with your personal information. My husband had a flag on his address that didn't show up or become apparent until he applied and* got approved for a credit card at the credit union we bank with. It had his very first address he had lived at as his current address even though he had used credit and moved several times after he lived there. It even showed all the other more current addresses but for some insane reason it reverted back to the very first address ever reported from like 2001. Although it has been a long time since he has used his credit (about 6 years) it doesn't make sense that the oldest address was listed as current. Anyway I also wanted to say that I got a self lender loan in my name to try and use the "loan" info to get my ip pin but that was also a complete fail and I couldn't get approved for a credit card that didn't require a deposit. It told me it didn't "qualify" as an option so I sent in a paper return about a month and a half ago and still haven't received my check. IRS says all I can do is wait but I'm nervous I will miss the October 15 deadline and have to wait until 2021 to claim it as a return on my taxes. Which I would also have to mail in if they don't send me the ip pin to my new address. 

I do not meet the credit requirements to verify my identity 

Brookny73

I haven't gotten a stimulus check bc I don't have an ip pin. I never received it in the mail. Everyone is receiving there's I am not. I never asked for an ip pin,someone stole my identity anf they automatically gave me one. I don't remember the digits of my credit card from 3 years ago. I don't know if we 

Can file by paper for the stimulus check. This is very unfair.  If the government working on everyone getting money bc of covid how about the ones that really need it.They need to fix this asap. 

The Identity Protection (IP Pin) which is a 6-digit pin issued each year by the IRS that the IRS mails to you each year that it is needed. It changes every year so you cannot use last years IP Pin.

If the IP Pin required by the IRS you cannot e-file without the IP PIN.

If you lost or did not receive it then your only options are to:

1) use the IP PIN recovery site:
https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

2) Call the IRS
https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance

3) Print and mail file.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I finally heard back from the IRS months later After filing a paper tax return . They were requesting some information regarding a Account I had through Healthcare.gov . Which I thought was kind of odd because all I have is Medicaid and when I called in To let them know that they said that there is a Blue Cross and Blue Shield Healthcare account under my Name with An address that is For the homeless shelter I used to stay at . So basically Someone has stolen my identity again and all this Stupid IP pin Crap has done for me is prevent me from getting my stimulus. The whole point is so that others can't use my identity and Not only have they been using my identity but Now it's preventing me from getting My money. I fail to see how this is a Benefit in any way . So anyway in regards to Getting your IP pin just file a paper tax return yes it will take awhile But Just pray that Your Information hasn't been stolen again and they should mail you the IP pin after verifying Your tax return. Also Be very Cautious as to What information you put on your paper tax return and double-check that it is all one hundred percent correct in order to prevent anything from further delaying your stimulus. Might be smart to have a local non profit tax preparation office help you fill it out. They shouldnt charge you much if anything at all. 

So what do we do when it send u to the loan and credit options 

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, if IRS sent you an IP PIN to use to verify your identity so you can file a return and they will know that you are filing it, not some imposter.

Even by filing a paper return, IRS will delay processing it until they have satisfied their requirements that you are the actual one eligible to use your ssn to file your return.

Here is some additional information about retrieving your IP PIN and explaining the process in examining your paper return if you file without it:

How to retrieve your IP PIN

If you file your return without your IRS assigned IP PIN:

• IRS will reject your electronic return and you won't be able to e-file
  • IRS will subject your paper return to additional screenings to validate your identity, delaying any refund you may be due
Shemama8

It won’t let me get my pin it’s saying I need a credit card or something that’s the only way I can create an account 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you need to obtain your 6-digit PIN from the IRS, you will need to contact them directly.

Obtaining your 6-digit IP PIN

Please see the link below if you are still having issues obtaining your IP PIN.

IRS site to request IP PIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
49SafGar

So you can pay a professional tax preparer to file you taxes using professional software without the ip pin by how can you do that do I just hire a professional tax preparer or just go to any tax office I am confused on that

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

If you're unable to retrieve your IP PIN online using the Get an IP PIN online tool the , you may call the IRS at 800-908-4490 for specialized assistance, Mon - Fri, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time), to have your IP PIN reissued.

An assistor will verify your identity and mail your IP PIN to your address of record within 21 days.

Exception:  If you’ve moved since January 1 of this year, and if you cannot access the Get an IP PIN online tool, your best alternative at this time is to file your tax return by paper without your IP PIN.

Paying a professional tax preparer to file your taxes using professional software without your IP PIN will not be successful as the tax return will not efile if you have been issued an IP PIN and it is not present on your return.

ecyned

I am ready to efile but i have a designated IP PIN  Where on the tax return do i enter this pin number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies