Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

norenajm

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do I get rid of my form 8615?

I started filling out my form 8615, but eventually realized that it does not apply to me. How do delete form 8615 from my turbo tax account? I cannot access the form without them asking me to finish it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

46 Replies

To delete Form 8615 please follow the TurboTax Online instructions below:

TurboTax Online:

1. Open your return, if it's not already open.
  2. In the upper right corner, click My Account > Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select Delete a form.
  4. Click Delete next to the form or schedule and follow the instructions to remove the form/schedule.

Windows Instructions:

1. Switch to Forms mode.
  2. In the left pane, select the form you want to remove.
  3. After the form is generated in the right pane, click the Delete Form button at the bottom of the window.
  4. Follow any on-screen instructions to remove the form or forms.

Mac Instructions:

1. Switch to Forms mode.
  2. In the left pane, select the form you want to remove (if you don't see it, click Open Form at the top).
  3. From the Forms menu, select Remove [form name].
  4. Follow any on-screen instructions to remove the form or forms.
samuelv15

Actually, its quite simple

Form 8615 appears after you have answered the question 

"did you support yourself in 20XX?"

if you answer YES. The form will not appear because you supported yourself.

If you answer NO. The government will assume that you were living under the care of a parent and/or guardian. that being said, the government requires you to file their income tax because their income also helped you.

I am having this issue as well. I am using the app and when I go to file it says I cannot because “Form 8615: Filing status should be blank.” 
I can’t even find that form and at this point it is getting rather irritating. There is no “my account” button in the upper right hand corner for me to continue with the steps that were given. 
Anyone else have this problem that may be able to help?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online: 

• In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tools Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions. 

Additional help here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MayaD
Expert Alumni

To delete form 8615 please follow the instructions below:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. From the left menu select Tax Tools then Tools.
  3. Select delete a form.
  4. Locate the form and click delete next to it. 
Tonya2020

I followed step by step instructions as it was posted on this blog. However, when I got to the "File your Return" screen to process and submit my return after deleting Form 8615, the message is still pending by stating: "The IRS hasn't finalized one or more of your forms. Once forms are finalized, you will be able to access this section."

What am I missing now to make this go away so I can submit my tax return?

Please advise.........

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

It appears that there is information in your tax return that is causing TurboTax to generate a Form 8615.  Form 8615 is only required if you have a child under the age of 19 (or under the age of 24 and a full-time student), and has unearned income of $2,200 or more.  Verify that there is not incorrect data in your tax return that is causing Form 8615 to be generated.

My son's, both over 19 and full time students, received a gift of $5000 from their grandfather.  They are unable to file their taxes according to TurboTax .  One of them received a message that Form 8615 is not available.  However, the other just received a message that he could not file at this time.  One was charged $80 to file which was already paid yet still unable to file while the other was not yet charged a fee.  The IRS reports this form is available.  How can we work around this?  

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

A gift would not be considered unearned income, which is what is reported on form 8615.

A gift is not taxable to the recipient and as such should not be entered on a tax return.

I am 

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

If you want to delete Form 8615: Tax for Certain Children who have Unearned Income in TurboTax online because it is not needed, follow the steps below:

• Log on to your Turbo Tax Online account and open your return by clicking Take me to my return.
  • Select My Account at the top of the page, then Tools from the drop-down box.
  •  In the Tools box, click on Delete a Form.
  • When the list of forms in your return appears, look for "Form 8615: Tax for Certain Children who have Unearned Income". If it is there, delete it. 
  • Confirm that you want to delete the form, click Continue, then choose Continue With My Return (at the bottom of the list) to go back to your return.

[Edited: 3/4/2020  |  04:15 pm]

I have the same issue with form 8615 and was able to go into tax tools and "delete" the form. Turbo Tax even assures me "Document successfully deleted", yet when I look at the summary of documents it is still there.  I still keep getting the same issue. It has been three weeks and each time I sign in it will tell me the IRS will have the form available by day X, yet every time I try to file after this date it simply keeps pushing it back. 

I am having the same issue, I only have 1,000 in unearned income yet it is asking me to fill out this form that is not available

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

It is possible that there is information in your tax return that is causing TurboTax to generate a Form 8615.  Form 8615 is only required if you have a child under the age of 19 (or under the age of 24 and a full-time student), and has unearned income of $2,200 or more.  Verify that there is not incorrect data in your tax return that is causing Form 8615 to be generated after you have deleted the form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies