Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I file taxes on my ssi

Yes, she will have to file.  As xmasbaby0 and Critter-3 stated and were asking, if you claimed the $2,200 in childcare costs and listed your Mom as the recipient, she will have to file claiming the $2,200 as income subject to self-employment.  If nothing else, she will have to pay self-employment tax on the $2,200; which will be approximately $314.  If you did not list her on your return, simply claiming the childcare cost will get your return rejected upon filing as needing a name, address, and social security number or tax identification number of the payee.  Failure to provide that will void any childcare tax credit.

@mykeil12

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did list her and her address, SSN,  etc. she hasn’t filed taxes in over 10 years just received her SSI. So will my return be held up until she does file? 

No.  Her return is completely separate from yours.  

So basically she will just owe? I was just worried in a case where it takes her longer to file. 

@JosephS1  I did use her information, name, dob, ssn, address etc. she hasn’t filed taxes in over 10+ years.. so basically she will owe the irs regardless?

I'm on SSI and have a dependent how can I get my refund

The rules for the child tax credit have changed.  The maximum amount of the child tax credit is now $2000; the refundable “additional child tax credit” amount is $1500.  

In order to get the credit, you must have income from working.  The credit is calculated based on the amount you earned above $2500 multiplied by 15%.

The guidelines are:

• Be under age 17 at the end of the year.
  • Be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of one of these (for example, a grandchild, niece or nephew)
  • Provide no more than half of their own financial support during the year.
  • Have lived with you for more than half the year.
  • Be properly claimed as your dependent on your tax return.

You will get a non-refundable credit up to $2000 per child.  That means the credit cannot be more than your actual tax bill. However, if your child tax credit was limited by your tax bill you may be able to get the remainder up to $1500 as a refundable Additional Child Tax Credit.  

IRS Child Tax Credit

What is the Child Tax Credit

You can see what is posted by going to:

On the menu bar on the left that shows.

1. My Info
  2. Federal
  3. State
  4. Review
  5. File
  6. Select Tax Tools
  7. On the drop-down select Tools
  8. On the popup menu
  9. Select View Tax Summary
  10. On the left sidebar
  11. Select Preview my 1040.

Child Tax Credit line 19

Credit for Other Dependents line 19

Earned Income Credit line 27.

Additional Child Tax Credit line 28

@Jenjohn1221 Sorry---if you did not work and earn income you will not get a refund just for having a dependent in 2022.  The tax law changed.   You could get child tax credit last year on a 2021 return but that law is changed now.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies