Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Program Update Required & Error 190

I finished filling in Federal taxes. Then I downloaded my state (Michigan) tax forms and finished those. When it came to E-File, I got this error "Tax Program Update Required.. There is an update available for your tax program. Before you can file electronically, you must get this update.

Tax Program Update Required.. There is an update available for your tax program. Before you can file electronically, you must get this update.

A Federal return that matches this state return could not be found. The IRS requires that all linked state returns be filed after or in conjunction with the Federal return.. Please verify that your Federal return has been e-filed and has not been rejected by IRS."

I followed community advice to check that the software was up-to-date, install a manual update, and reinstall TuboTax Desktop 2023. Now I get Error: 190 when trying to open my saved tax return data. It wants me to pay $45 to get the state forms back! Ha! No way! I already paid and have a receipt. I just want to e-file please, that is why I bought this software in the first place.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I dialed customer support at 1-800-4-INTUIT. The call took 44 minutes. Most of the time I was sitting waiting for software to update, uninstall, and reinstall, and the support agent was friendly, patient, and helpful.

During that time, the agent used the built-in screen sharing feature which only allowed them to see the TurboTax window. They had me follow these steps:

1. Restart Windows and apply the Windows OS update that was pending.

2. Uninstall TurboTax 2023.

3. Restart Windows again.

4. Install TurboTax 2023.

5. Restart Windows again.

6. Run TurboTax 2023 and submit my federal and state taxes with E-File.

7. Success! 🎉🎉🎉🎉

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

To make sure TurboTax runs smoothly:

I need help installing my software

I need help updating my software

I got a Microsoft Installer error

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have completed the steps listed, but it does not help my situation.

I dialed customer support at 1-800-4-INTUIT. The call took 44 minutes. Most of the time I was sitting waiting for software to update, uninstall, and reinstall, and the support agent was friendly, patient, and helpful.

During that time, the agent used the built-in screen sharing feature which only allowed them to see the TurboTax window. They had me follow these steps:

1. Restart Windows and apply the Windows OS update that was pending.

2. Uninstall TurboTax 2023.

3. Restart Windows again.

4. Install TurboTax 2023.

5. Restart Windows again.

6. Run TurboTax 2023 and submit my federal and state taxes with E-File.

7. Success! 🎉🎉🎉🎉

I am having the exact same problem!  Same sequence starting with the "update required" and then TurboTax asking me to buy the state software again.

Any solutions out there?  I tried the uninstall/reinstall process with the PC restarts.  No luck, TurboTax still wants me to buy another license.

I called the help desk and waited for 45 minutes before getting connected to someone. They asked for my name and then put me on hold for another 15 minutes.  Then I was disconnected.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies