Foster48

Tax liability on k-1 income (interest and dividends) not received

I am a beneficiary of a trust that is producing an income.  I received k-1's from the trust showing income as interest and dividends.  I understand I must pay taxes on these.  I have not received these as a distribution in the year 2020.  If I pay taxes on the income, why am I paying on income not received?

gloriah5200

You will be paying taxes on the income, but it is considered income that is "credited to your account" for your benefit in the trust, whether you take the  money out in the current year or not.

gloriah5200

The trust generally has a higher tax rate than the individual beneficiary so it would use up the trust money faster and it wouldn't be there for you later.

You are at a lower tax rate and the beneficiary paying the taxes is a money-saver in the long run.

The trust agreement generally has rules and guidelines to follow distributions and taxation, etc.

:[Edited 04/05/2021|7:31 pm pst]

gloriah5200

Foster48

Would it be better for the trust to pay the taxes on this income rather than the beneficiary?

gloriah5200

:[Edited 04/05/2021|7:31 pm pst]