Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Normita48

Stuck in Update Loop

I just completed my 2019 Federal and State taxes. When I went to transmit them, I received a message my version of Turbo Tax needed an update. I went to check for updates, the reply was that my version was updated. Hit transmit again, received the same message that I need an update. Stuck in an endless loop. What can I do to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

89 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Stuck in Update Loop

Have you tried Rebooting and Restarting TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stuck in Update Loop

I have the same problem. I have closed out, rebooted, relaunched, multiple times. I checked the forms that won't be updated until later in February, but none of them seem to apply to my return.

Stuck in Update Loop

Same problem. When I check for updates from the Online menu, it says the software is up to date, but it won't let me out of this loop so I can transmit the returns. Rebooted and restarted the program multiple times to no avail.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Stuck in Update Loop

Please see the TurboTax FAQ TurboTax Desktop Windows: Update Loop at e-File for a workaround to help resolve the looping issue. 

Stuck in Update Loop

I’m having the same problem. The work around didn’t help. 

Stuck in Update Loop

The first part of this answer makes no sense because it indicates that we are having trouble with the updates, but we have indicated that TurboTax is up to date. The second part, to uninstall and reinstall - we will lose everything we've entered?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Stuck in Update Loop

Please try refreshing your browser and clearing out your cookies. If that does not work, try clearing out your browser's cache. You may also want to try a different browser. 

Please see below for information on how to delete your cookies. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-do-i-delete-cookies/00/25978

Please see below for information on how to delete your cache.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-to-clear-your-cache/00/26135

If you would like to contact customer support for additional assistance please see below. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Stuck in Update Loop

So the answer to a desktop installation of a product is to clear the browser cache.......not that I thought it would work, but I tried. Any other inapplicable suggestions that will fix this?

AmyR
Level 2

Stuck in Update Loop

I have tried all the suggestions here and elsewhere...uninstall/reinstall twice, downloaded version from website instead of reinstalling from my CD, manual updates, Windows updates.   I even deleted my file and started totally over after all these updates and while the Updater says my software is up to date, when I try to efile I get that message that says I still need to get an available update.   This has taken me four hours for a return that took less than twenty minutes to put into the software.  Can you please tell me if I am doing something wrong or if there is something wrong with the software and if there is a fix coming for this problem? 

Stuck in Update Loop

I'm using Premier installed from CD. I tried restarting computer and network, which did not help. I tried manual update, which executed but did not solve the problem. HERE IS WHAT WORKED: I uninstalled then re-installed TurboTax from CD, then did an online update, then I was able to transmit my returns.

Stuck in Update Loop

It appears the problem fixed itself for me. I went back later in the afternoon and tried the Check for Updates thing again - lo and behold, there was an update sitting there from two days ago. I installed the update and was able to transmit my returns.

Stuck in Update Loop

I ended up calling Turbotax support. I had to wait about 20 minutes for a call back. After walking me through the things I already done, she had been attempt to file just my Federal return. I went through just fine. She said there are some problems with the New York forms and they may not all be updated or ready for filing. She suggested just checking back periodically, which I will do. At least my Federal return is filed.

Stuck in Update Loop

My problem was also with NY (see my post from yesterday). There was an update released on 2/6 but when I checked for updates it didn't see it.

AmyR
Level 2

Stuck in Update Loop

My problem was also ended up to be with NY.   I finally found a help post that said to try the Selective Startup mode.   When I followed those steps and started up Turbo Tax Deluxe, I FINALLY got the NYS update from 02/06/2020.  That updated and I was able to submit my returns.   The Selective Startup or some combo of all the other suggestions worked for me.   Thanks to everyone for their input and help!!  (hopefully I can get my Startup back to normal now....).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies