Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus registration portal bug: can't enter bank info

The site claims the registration portal will let you give direct bank deposit information.

In my case: It did *NOT*, it sent the information without bothering to give me a chance to enter it. I had $0 income last year (while developing a product) so I didn't need to file. To get the stimulus check, I tried to use your free e-file but then it said it wouldn't send the info electronically with $0 income, so I just saved it as hardcopy to decide whether to file that way or wait for the IRS to let me give them my info. Then I saw your stimulus registration portal and signed in: and as soon as I did, it just sent my information immediately to the IRS *without* asking for my direct deposit banking info. 

Now presumably I need to wait many weeks for a hardcopy check or for the IRS to get its act together and let me tell them the info. Or is there some way you can correct your buggy software and update the IRS? Or did your bug just mean I need to wait many weeks now since I believed your claim it'd let me provide the banking info?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I am sorry you are having to deal with this.  The IRS is in the process of having a portal for folks to change or add the bank account information.  We are unsure when this will be available for use.  

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

TurboTax Corona Virus Updates or IRS Corona Tax Relief.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ReginaM 

I think I know what is happening   ... since the taxpayer  already had an account in the full TT version (where it told them   a zero income return could not be efiled) and then they  tried using the stimulus registration option  I bet they  said YES to already having an account  which auto populated the info that had been already entered.... and then the option for DD was not presented ... this may be the bug some have posted about.  

When you use the registration option you should have to enter in everything from scratch since you are not required to file a return and should not have any info in the regular program.  

Let the tech support know this may be the issue.  

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Will do, and thank you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

re: "I think I know what is happening ...  bet they  said YES to already having an account  which auto populated"

Yup,  I said YES to that, which is what I figured triggered it to just send it to the IRS without giving me a chance to give the direct deposit info. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to let me change anything now (though it says the information was sent, it  hasn't yet given me confirmation the information was accepted), so again it sounds like the bug means I need to wait perhaps for weeks/months for the IRS to let me update direct deposit info or to send a check. Unless there is some way they can fix the bug and resend the information...

Sorry ... even if they fix this "bug" the IRS will not accept a second return.

News just in ... they expect the portal to be operational by 4/24 "maybe & hopefully" but don't count on it. 

I figured out the bug and have reported it ... 

When you have an account already and you had gotten to the FILE tab and were stopped because you had no taxable income and thus no reason to enter in any DD info   and then you switch to the new "registration" option the info is transferred over and you are taken directly to step 3 of the FILE tab and skipping over step 2 where the DD info is added.   Considering they cobbled together this program in less than a week I am surprised this is the only issue.

If you start the registration program from scratch then there are no issues ... I did 5 tests in a row without any problems.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies