turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State depreciation differences from federal depreciation differences

In trying to complete my state taxes, I am getting stopped on a page which is asking me for the the differences in the state depreciation from the federal depreciation for the rental apartment in the basement of my home.  It has a number of fields that I can't answer, including 

-- "Depreciation Method," in which the choices are: 200% declining balance, 150% declining balance, declining balance, straight line, various and MACRS.  (I believe the accountant I hired last year to do my taxes used the straight line method, since  one sheet reads method SL.)

-- "Useful Life (months)."   Would this be 27.5 years x 12?  No idea what it refers to

-- "State Prior Depreciation taken."   I have no idea what the prior depreciation taken was and I do not see any reference to it on my previous year tax form

-- "Depreciation for 2017."  Again, how do I know, other than the amount Turbotax already calculated for the federal depreciation?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
VanL
Level 1

Hi there, here are some further clarifications that may help you:

Depreciation method - should be straightline because it's a residential rental

Useful life = 27.5 years x 12 months (residential property)

State Prior Depreciation taken - should be the same as the federal for most states because there is no accelerated rate for this type of asset

Depreciation for 2017 - should be the same as federal - also should be the same as last year if you also rented the unit out the whole year in 2016.

Thanks very much.  Since it was all a bit opaque, I ended up assuming that everything was the same as federal, and just submitted it.  My state's own on-line instructions on depreciation of real estate wasn't much help at all.   But I appreciate your response.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies