debjkor

Spouses date of death

My spouse died in 2017.  I am entering our information as if he is alive, starting with his personal information.  It asked for his date of death.  I entered it and went on to my personal info, where is asks for my spouses date of death.  If I enter nothing it stops me.  If I enter his dod, it treats it as if it is MY date of death and then thinks we are both deceased.  I think this is a glitch in the system - how can I fix it?

TomD8

Spouses date of death

In the Personal Info section, enter both your name and your late husband's name.  (You can still file a joint return for 2017.)  Then, in the follow-up questions after his name, check the box that he passed away during 2017 (and don't check that box for yourself.)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
debjkor

Spouses date of death

Thanks!  I didn't go back to edit, my bad.  I appreciate your quick answer!
GG4813

Spouses date of death

I am having this same issue, I have gone back to edit, stating that my husband is deceased and the date that he passed.  It asks those 4 questions concerning myself, where I answered none of the above.

It keeps asking for the date I died.  I a very much alive.

I have gone back several times to be sure I have answered correctly, it is still asking for the date that I passed.

It does have the date my husband passed correctly.

My return was already rejected once because I had my husband as the primary, I have switched myself as 

the primary.

HELP!

AmyC

Spouses date of death

When you made the switch to primary, something got left checked. You need to review the personal information section again. I am very sorry for your loss.

@GG4813