userlbadgett66

Spouse died 2020. Filed as widowed and completed deceased spouses info. Rejected for IND-941-01. SS admin. Shows deceased? Turbo prompted me to fill in his info. Help

AmyC

Yes, your deceased return will need to be paper filed. If your spouse died in 2020, then you file a joint return for 2020, unless you remarried. 

Each situation is unique. I recommend you run through the IRS How Do I File a Deceased Person program. It is very detailed and will tell you exactly what is best for your situation.

I am very sorry for your loss.

IND-941 IRS reject -- The Spouse SSN in the Return Header has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual.

Sam H53

The IRS website says that I can e-file in this situation but it rejected it and I did everything it said to do? I put deceased and the date. Don't know why it was rejected. Can someone from turbo tax help with why?

KathrynG3

Our condolences for your loss. 

If you are getting refund, then the tax return actually must be paper filed and Form 1310 must be added. This is the form the IRS needs in order to issue a check for a deceased person in someone else's name.

Persons passing away after December 31, 2019 may be eligible for both stimulus payments on the 2020 tax return.

For more information, see: 

Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic B: Eligibility | Internal Revenue Service

Can I file Form 1310 in TurboTax?

Death in the Family - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

@SamH53