turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spouse died 2020. Filed as widowed and completed deceased spouses info. Rejected for IND-941-01. SS admin. Shows deceased? Turbo prompted me to fill in his info. Help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Spouse died 2020. Filed as widowed and completed deceased spouses info. Rejected for IND-941-01. SS admin. Shows deceased? Turbo prompted me to fill in his info. Help

Yes, your deceased return will need to be paper filed. If your spouse died in 2020, then you file a joint return for 2020, unless you remarried. 

Each situation is unique. I recommend you run through the IRS How Do I File a Deceased Person program. It is very detailed and will tell you exactly what is best for your situation.

I am very sorry for your loss.

IND-941 IRS reject -- The Spouse SSN in the Return Header has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sam H53

The IRS website says that I can e-file in this situation but it rejected it and I did everything it said to do? I put deceased and the date. Don't know why it was rejected. Can someone from turbo tax help with why?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Our condolences for your loss. 

If you are getting refund, then the tax return actually must be paper filed and Form 1310 must be added. This is the form the IRS needs in order to issue a check for a deceased person in someone else's name.

Persons passing away after December 31, 2019 may be eligible for both stimulus payments on the 2020 tax return.

For more information, see: 

Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic B: Eligibility | Internal Revenue Service

Can I file Form 1310 in TurboTax?

Death in the Family - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

@SamH53

my spouse died 02/01/2021. His personal information indicated that he died on that date. The IRS continues to reject my e-file because they say that the SSN indicates that my spouse's SSN indicates that he is deceased. How do I get them to accept my e-file? Is it necessary for me to file a paper return?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If your husband is listed first on the tax return you can switch the order and list yourself first @nettiegentry62611,.

You'd have to change the owners of all your income statements. Basically it's almost like starting over. And that may not work.

It would be easier to mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies